Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Dating Life For Me!

I'll dress up, blunder,
smile, and look cute.
Pile on me bloggers, yo ho!
I'll wager some beer that
she won't give a hoot!
Pile on me bloggers, yo ho!

Yo Ho, Yo Ho!
A Dating Life For Me!



I'm sorry if I sound beligerent, but perhaps Dan was right. Maybe I am brave for opening myself up to this well-meaning abuse. I will say two things - first, I am not offended. Its kind of like being in a hitting slump - everyone has a suggestion for how to get out of it. Second, it has gotten me to thinking about my "dating" life. I believe that I need to set the record straight a little here.

To the charge that I am too timid or shy when it comes to women - I have thought this over and deny it completely. I may not find a wide range of women attractive, or I may decide that certain situations will not work even before I begin (too young, too old, not my type, married, etc...), but I've never shied away from at least asking someone out that I was interested in.

To whit: Case 1 involves a rather attractive blond Russian woman that I liked. We used to flirt quite a bit. One day she said something to the effect that if I liked someone I ought to ask them out, so I did. And she gave me a startled look and said, "Oh, I didn't mean me." Case 2 involves another rather attractive woman whom I asked out to a company party. She said yes. We went to the party and when we arrived, she said, "Oh, by the way, I've asked some other guys to be my date too. You don't mind, do you?"

To the charge that I am a clod when it comes to dating - I also deny this charge. I am nothing but a gentleman. I may have hooked up with the wrong women, but I have almost always been on my "A" game when it comes to dating. I have been a shoulder to cry on. I have been a dance partner (actually, that was one of my better dates - but my date still went home with another guy!). I have been a drinking partner. I have even gotten people to play Strip Poker. But the outcome has never changed.

Its not that I need internal change so much as that I need to change the outcome. I feel kind of like the perennial AAA ballplayer - skillful enough to play with the major league guys but constantly passed over for someone with a little more pop in their bat. I am not afraid to step into the batter's box, or take my hacks, or even to lose a game here or there. But after a while, all there is left to do is enjoy the sunshine, have a hot dog and beer, and watch other people play the game.

So, anyway, I have new managers now and new coaches. Perhaps my luck will change. Perhaps I will finally get called up. Perhaps I will finally make it to the bigs! But in the meantime, at worst, I've got a case of beer chilling on ice for me, waiting for me to strike out one last time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, you misunderstood me. I didn't mean you were a clod when on a date. I have no clue how you behave on a date.

I just meant that your approach to dating is clodish. Is that a word?

Look, if you showed the side of yourself to women like I know you, I don't think you'd have any problem. I'm sure Andy would say the same thing. Show them the Will we know - the friend, the family member...

You're a clod if you think you have to be anything but who you are. You just have to define yourself and trust yourself so you can be authentic at all times.

Oh, and don't look at the guys who get lots of dates with da ladies and wonder how you can be like them. For the most part, women don't marry them. They marry guys like you.

Right, Carl?

Sue said...

Hi Will,

I did 10 push-ups and 20 crunches today in your honor. Since it was rainy outside I ran in place for 15 minutes which isn't quite the same as distance running but I wanted to make sure I was not expecting too much out of you. If I can do it, I know an ex-Navy guy like you can do it.

I am glad to hear that you are not a total oaf when it comes to dating. That will make my job much esier. I think you just need a little polish. First impressions are everything and they are *visual*. (Note:there are guys who are "sexy ugly", like Tom Petty or Mick Jagger but they are usually rich and play the guitar. Do you play the guitar?)So, that is why you need to start your push-ups and crunches. When your royalties start rolling in with your big book sales next year, the women will come rollin in too. But until then, did you follow my instructions for Month #1 today?

Stay away from that beer.

Will Robison said...

Now that I have been given the next post for my blog, I shall rest easy tonight. I am writing the chapter from Hell. I can see that it will probably end up becoming the most rewritten chapter in my entire Novel. But it is the tipping point without which my entire book may be out of balance.

So while I was able to excercise today, I did the most excercise in my head. And now it is late, and I need sleep. Thank you all for your concern. God loves you all, and so do I.