Monday, April 03, 2006

Will's Love Life, or the Lack Thereof

This weekend Andy and I placed a bet with each other that I have every intention of trying to lose. We were eating breakfast with his kids on Saturday morning after a rain strangled opening day ceremony when the topic of marriage came up (don't ask me how, we're dudes. We hardly share these touchy feely subjects, so we were probably talking about super models or something ;) Andy predicted that I would be married within 2 years and I said, "I'll take that action." A bet was made, though no terms were actually set. This, too, is the way of guys.

I am fairly confident that two years from now I will be no closer to marriage than I am now. I have never understood the whole concept of dating. I understand that there is a scientific name for people who have no interest in sex, one predilection or the other. I don't belong in that category. I am just as interested in sex as the next guy - and for those of you keeping score; with women. But when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex in a romantic fashion, I'm afraid my genes are very recessive in this area.

I discovered romance at a very early age. I like the whole concept of love. I like the idea of being in love. I like the idea of cherishing a partner and wanting to spend the rest of my life with them. I like the idea of not being able to breathe when they walk into a room. I like the idea of suddenly bursting into song at their appearance. I am a romantic. I always have been. But I'm not an outwardly romantic person and when it comes to women, mostly I'm a disaster.

When I was in fifth grade I fancied a girl in my class named Lisa. I went to my Mom for advice and she told me to make a card for her and tell her how I felt (I have never asked her for advice since then... ;) Lisa took the card - didn't say anything - and then showed it to all of her school friends during the rest of the school day. All day long I had to hear their laughter of derision and the looks of contempt.

I didn't even look at girls again until High School. I was just starting to think that perhaps I'd missed out on this whole adolescent hormone phase when I met Erin. I came down with a mad crush on Erin. She was a lot more gentle with me than Lisa had been, but the looks of contempt continued.

Fortunately, right after that, I fell madly in love with Karen, and she fell in love with me. I wouldn't say that that was a normal love affair - but it was a love affair. We stayed a couple for six years, but while I wanted it to become more, she was content with what we had and finally, we had just grown too far apart. One New Year's Eve, she was supposed to come over to my apartment and she never did. I only saw her once more - three months later - when she stopped by my work to explain to me why she had decided not to show up that night.

After Karen, I sort of descended into a deep fog. I was confused about this whole concept of love. And I didn't know what it all meant. I wasn't sure if I was defective. But I was fairly certain that I had had success before, so, I would have success again. There was another girl out there for me. I just had to remain positive and keep looking.

I met Amy a few years later and loved her as a good friend. She helped pull me out of the fog and reminded me that I didn't need a girlfriend to have a life. After that, I went off to college. I dated a girl on the internet. When we met in real life, I got those looks of contempt again. But by that point, I didn't care. All of my other dates since then have been utter disasters - not a one has lasted more than an hour.

So, it must be me, right? I've never understood the whole concept of dating in the first place. When you go watch a basketball game, you see players that have played the game their whole entire lives. They've practiced. They've played. They've gotten to know the game and all the nuances and all of the intricicies of the game. They love the game. Watching a basketball game to me is like watching love in motion. Its teamwork. Its passion. Its scoring. Its ups and downs. Its time outs. Dating, to me, is like the half time show where some unlucky shlob has one shot to make a half court basket for a million dollars, without warm up or practice. You have no idea if he could be the greatest player since Michael Jordan... unless he makes that one shot.

I wish Andy luck on his wager. I really do. The romantic in me likes to be in love. It likes the energy and the entire concept. But the realist in me says that these things are out of my hands. I've never been a masochist and since more times than I can count instead of an intriguing smile I've received a look of contempt, I'd just as soon stay home and watch romance on TV and try to remember what it was like. I don't need the aggravation. But I'm always willing to try. So, good luck Andy. But I think you'll be owing me a case of beer in 728 Days. Sorry. But that was really a sucker's bet.

11 comments:

Pat said...

Don't be so sure. it can strike you down when you least expect it.

Andy said...

PI makes a good point actually. That's pretty much how it was with me and Page - neither of us was really looking per se - heck, we were set up by mutual friends.

But BAM!

And I too had been pretty unlucky in the whole dating thing myself - sure I knew plenty of ladies in college, but I was just their friend.

Is it a sucker bet? It might look like it today. But I don't think God has called you to the single life, either - seeing your way with kids makes me realize that you'll be a pretty cool dad yourself one day.

Game on, brother. And don't try to avoid dating just for a case of beer, either.

Will Robison said...

Having been struck down before at the most inconvenient of times, I realize that this is true. However, lightning doesn't strike the same place twice. I had my opportunity and I blew it.

PI: Nice to hear from you. I can understand loving Wages of Fear, but Endless Patience? (I mean, The English Patient, of course ;) Other than Naveen and an appreciation for mine sappers, what did that movie give us?

Sue said...

Will,

Everyone feels that way some time in their lives. You need to get back on that horse. I should be in on that wager-- If you follow my instructions, I would have you hooked up within six months!

Gee you guys under 35-40, you don't know how good the fishing is out there. If you are willing to consider ladies your own age, the odds get even better. And in the San Franciso Bay Area, most of the guys are gay anyway so the odds get better still. The only problem you have, Will, is for some reason you lost your "Mojo" (Austen Powers). You need to get that back with a little confidence.

Now pay attention.

Here is your first instruction:

Month #1
First thing to do is start working out. Make it part of your daily routine, like writing. Starting slowly work your way to

100 crunches
50 push ups
2 mile run in 15 minutes

Everyday.

No more junk food either. You will be amazed at how much better you feel.

Let me know how you are doing. In month #2, we start shopping for new clothes. Can't wait. I love shopping :)

In Month #3 you can look forward to learning the first secret of dating.

I intend to win this, Andy.

4/3/06
sm

Will Robison said...

You're both on!

Dan said...

What have you started now!?! You are a brave man my friend. >:)

Andy said...

What...no wager from you, Dan?

Unknown said...

Sue, as the sister, I will join you on that.

I can give you some insight.

Bro, when it comes to women, you're a clod. I love you, but you check yourself out of the game before the other team has even shown up. You don't believe in the great qualities you have, so no one else ever gets to see them. Its not fair! You are a GREAT person, and you just have to believe in yourself. Make someone else believe in you.

Lots of women have loved you, Will. But, like you, they have felt shy and did not want to be rejected. I have had several friends over the years confide secret crushes in you. I bet there are even more who have never breathed a word.

What do people like about you?

You're funny.
You're kind.
You respect women (well, mostly).
You are romantic.
You're warm.
You're a good friend.
Family is important to you.

What don't women like about you?

You have no confidence.

Really, that's it. Women are attracted to men who know who they are. Only you can define that. Own it. You are who you are - and that is a man that God created. Love the being. You cannot be loved by a woman unless you can accept that you are loveable.

And Andy is right. Quit looking. Truly accept a woman as a friend, without any expectations. Have lots of friends - and I mean, true friends. Not like a certain woman whose name shall not be mentioned who just USED your friendship. Love yourself enough to demand that the people in your life respect you.

Love will strike when you're not looking. Look at Carl and I.

Oh, and its time you stopped judging every potential date by how they measure up to Karen. Karen hurt you, but if you keep using your fear of being hurt again in that way to build a barrier, no one will get past it.

Josh and Nat want cousins nearby. Although they don't necessarily want to share their Uncle Will with any other kids, they'll make do - as long as they can all go to Disneyland together.

So, bro, Sue and I are part of your team. Anyone else joining in?

Will Robison said...

Pile on! The more the merrier. But it won't change the outcome.

Karen didn't hurt me so much as she confused me. It took me years to figure out what went wrong. I am always game for another go around, but Karen wasn't exactly planned either. Truthfully, we were in love and seeing each other before we ever really dated. So in terms of having success dating, I never really have.

So if I'm screwed up it happened long before Karen. I've never liked rejection - who does? - but that doesn't mean I'm letting it stop me. But how can you defeat a track record that includes a blind date that burst into tears the second she saw me? ;)

By the way, I'd like to point out that the title of this post comes from Andy's answer to Heather's Category on Friday. So apparantly, I'm not the only one who realizes the futility of my love life.

Unknown said...

You're simply going about it the wrong way, bro. You don't find love. Love finds you. And its not blind. At least not in the sense of blind dates.

I know what you mean, though, bro. I had a hard time, too. I *always* picked the wrong ones. But, then, Carl came along.

Andy said...

Will - that answer was tongue firmly planted in cheek...

The fact is you're a great catch for a lot of gals. You just haven't met them yet.

And it will happen.

Oh yes...it will happen.