Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Demands Of The World

When I was in fourth grade, my class had a talent show. I had no talent of my own, so I glommed on to the talents of others. There was a really funny kid named Michael Fee who allowed me to play straight man to his comedy act. We rocked. And then there were the black kids in the school who really loved the latest Michael Jackson album -Off The Wall. They did a dance number, and I danced with them. They thought it was cool that the white boy wanted to learn to dance. Dwight was the official cool kid of the school and when he said I could dance with them, that was great. In some parts of the country, even at the time, I would have been accused of all sorts of terrible things and told that people from different races didn't mix together. I didn't know any different. That was just the way I was raised and just the way I have always lived.

My belief in the equality of all people didn't end at the outside of people's skins, or their genders, or nationalities, but went deeper. I could never swallow the message from the Bible that the only way to God was through Jesus Christ. To tell you the truth, I'm still not quite sure I believe it now. We all have our wedges that drive us from the church and truth be told, this was mine. I just couldn't believe that my idea of equality was greater than God's own - that a perfectly righteous individual in all other ways wouldn't be acceptable to God just because he was a Jew, or a Muslim, or an Odin worshipper. I didn't really stray from God and the church so much as I went out into the world to find answers.

I have chronicled in the past some of the steps in that process, but I believe that when you really have an issue that you can't resolve, God throws that issue right in your face - in this case, quite literally.

Our new choir bass is orthodox Jew. This is not common knowledge in my church and not even in my choir. I found out, really, because I overheard something and because he sits next to me in the choir. He is a phenomenal singer and someday will be singing at a concert hall near you. But for now, he trades space to practice with his choral group in exchange for appearing in our choir on Sundays.

I noticed, at first, that our new bass never read the liturgies out loud with other people. He has a fine voice, so I knew it wasn't a physical reason. I suspected that he must come from a more conservative background and didn't speak liturgies in his church. So, though it bothered me a little, I just let it go - not wanting to press the issue. But then, one day, during the passing of Christ's peace when I turned to him and shook his hand and said, "The Peace of Christ be with you," he gave me a pained expression and just said, "Thank you." A week later, I was walking down the hall and I heard the Pastor asking our new bass about his father's job as an orthodox rabbi and then I put two and two together.

Now, on Sunday's, I tell him, "Peace be with you," and he smiles at me because he knows that I know. I made him feel more comfortable in choir, no longer sneaking furtive glances at him to see why he wasn't saying the Lord's prayer or reading the litany. I allow him to be a weekly visitor and not a participant, and that is acceptable to him.

But I'd been wondering now for some time what my duties were in relationship to this bass. That here was an opportunity to preach and speak about the love of Christ to someone that I knew was not a Christian - a chance to save someone. All of the issues resurfaced in my head. Did I have a right? Did it even make a difference? Was I being tested? Should I at least offer Christ - like He was some sort of cookie or cup of coffee? I realized how silly the whole line of questioning was because quite frankly if he wasn't getting enough Christ through the liturgy and the music and the whole service, then my offering him Christ wasn't going to tip the scales. I often think of this whole idea of evangelism and I just get confused and scared.

St. Paul founded a church in Corinth - a city much like San Francisco with a cross cut of the entire civilized world passing through its streets on a daily basis. The people of this church, and of this community, were no doubt faced with the same plethora of choices and ideas that we are faced with today. There was probably no religion they didn't know about. No idea or politic that hadn't been discussed in their streets and markets and places of worship. In such a city, a church of Jesus Christ would find fertile ground to grow. But what of the thousands of other people who lived in this city? What was to become of the Romans? Or the Phonecians? Or the Jews? Or the Greeks? What was to become of the rest of God's kingdom? Imagine yourself a Jew of the time - raised your whole life to believe that you were one of God's chosen people and someone comes up to you and says, "Oh, by the way, the plan's changed - now you have to follow Jesus Christ, the son of God." Is that not, in essence, what we are asking people of other beliefs even today? "Sorry, Vishnu is not real. The only way to everlasting life is through Jesus - and don't even think about reincarnation."

But St. Paul provided me with the answers God had been leading me to for years. He knew what words to put in my head, to make me understand what I couldn't quite grasp - to make me understand what other people thought when confronted with Jesus Christ.

18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."[c]
20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

1 Corinthians 18-25

Your God died on a cross? And He is almighty and all powerful and all knowing? Couldn't He see that coming? And you say that He was in Heaven at the same time that He was being crucified? This is whom I must believe in to make it into Heaven in your religion? Okay... I'll get back to you on that.

The Cross is foolishness to those who don't believe. It is as crazy to them as Mohammed riding up in a chariot or Buddha battling Vishnu or Jesus preaching to Native Americans. It is utterly ridiculous to those who don't believe. Jews and Greeks and Norsemen and Romans and atheists are all seeking their own version of the truth. They want something that justifies their laws and their prophets. But to believe in Christ is to believe that we are not significant beings, that we are nothing, that to become great, one must become weak. We believe in the very things that other religions preach against. We are not better than them, but we offer the only possible way for truth, justice, and beauty to survive on this ugly, evil, and false world. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's greatest wisdom and the weakness of God is greater than the strength of man's greatest power.

There is no short cut in religion. There is only the long path to finding the ultimate truth. My path started with the Presbyterian version of Christianity. It has led me out into the world and caused me to seek wisdom and knowledge. The more wisdom and knowledge I gain, the more my path becomes secure and the road I'm on becomes a little clearer to see. All of these people I pass along the way are on my path seeking their own things. Ultimately, God will reveal His truth to them and they will have to decide to accept it or not accept it. What their fate will be, I do not know - only God knows. What my role is in revealing that truth to them, I do not know. God has yet to reveal that to me.

The world is a wonderfully diverse place. We all see things in so many different ways, and yet, we are all so much the same. Even in our deepest convictions, we react the same - embracing deeply that which we know and believe, and discarding the other's beliefs as utter foolishness. I recognize this now that what I had once taken for contempt for other beliefs, is actually only a difference of opinion. Its okay for me to believe what I believe and to share that with others because I am not trying to sway them away from their beliefs, but to share my own. And when the conviction of my message reaches their heart, God willing, they will take that message to heart and agree to meet with my good friend, Jesus, even if just for a cup of coffee and a cookie. And then, may the best religion win.

6 comments:

Andy said...

Each of us has different skills that God has given us to speak to non-believers - for many of us, it is simply to be good followers of Christ, leading by example, obeying and trusting his word.

Jews and Greeks and Norsemen and Romans and atheists are all seeking their own version of the truth. They want something that justifies their laws and their prophets.

Amen - add to the list all other faiths we find in the 21st Century and you see that there is no "truth" in our world anymore. The only truth, it seems, is the one we make for ourselves.

But as Christians, we know what the real truth is. And to spread the truth, we must start planting seeds.

And pray that those hearts will open to those seeds.

Anonymous said...

So … I'm confused about the orthodox Jew in the choir. Is it a quid pro quo? He wants to use Lakeside's facilities for his choir so he has to sing with the Presbyterians to get it? That's an odd arrangement.

It's sad that he has to be undercover there. What a joy it would be to embrace this man for who he is and enjoy the unique contribution he could make.

I have also struggled with the exclusivity of our faith, Will. I haven't figured it all out, but I have made some small progress. I think a lot of the tension we feel - and the reason we can't quite accept the legitimacy of other faiths - is because we have placed foremost importance on Salvation and Heaven.

These are, admittedly, important things, but preaching about them was only a small part of the ministry of Jesus. His greatest emphasis was much more on loving God and loving our neighbor. He was all about living as citizens of Heaven in the here and now. Our mandate is to love. Many will come to know Jesus if we simply follow - really follow - that commandment. I don't think you can really love someone if you start with the premise that his or her point of view is fundamentally illegitimate.

To your Jewish chorister I say, shalom. Grace and peace to you. You are welcome in the house of God.

Will Robison said...

Before the word gets out about the non-friendly nature of Lakeside, the impression I recieved was more of one that it was our bass's preference. He is kind of a shy guy, so I'm sure he doesn't want any more attention than he needs.

Our choir needs bass singers. He needs a facility to practice in (our recently completed renovation has given Lakeside some of the best acoustics in the city. Many many groups want to use our space to practice. He is not just securing this space for himself but for his entire men's chorus from State. They often practice late into the night.) I think its an equitable arrangement. And its not as draconian as it sounds - he had the holidays off and he only sings while school is in session. The rest of the choir is welcome and embracing, they just don't know the whole story.

As for the inclusiveness of our faith, thank you Dave. That was the point I was trying to reach. It isn't our knowledge of God that will convert others - they think it's foolish - but our passion, our conviction, and most of all, our acts. When they see what it is to BE a Christian, they will see that that is what they have been missing all along (or that they have been Christians all along and never realized it).

Unknown said...

You know my philosophy on religion - Church is a house where we go to visit God and religion is the language we converse in.

I believe that we all believe in a divine spirit and that we call him by many different names - whether it be Yahweh, God, Mohammed... - it is belief in a higher good that will bring us salvation - both in our lifetime and beyond.

I could relate, as well, about not seeing differences in people that others seem to see so clearly. I remember when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, I had a friend named Leslie. I don't remember much about her - just that, as all little girls at that time - we shared a love of jump rope, playing house, and cupcakes.

Leslie invited me over to play one Saturday and I was delighted. My parents dropped me off at her house. I made sure to behave myself - Leslie and I played and had a wonderful time. Her parents made a delicious lunch - I think it was tuna and chips and cupcakes - and I was so happy to have a friend. I made sure to thank the parents profusely for inviting me into their beautiful home.

On Monday, Leslie was distant. She wouldn't talk to me. She ignored me on the play yard. She wouldn't even eat lunch with me. I thought she was busy.

I walked up to her after school and asked her why she wasn't talking to me. She looked at me, sideways, a little tear in her eyes.

"I can't play with you anymore."

"What? Why not?!?"

"My daddy said I can't play with white girls."

There it was. We went from being two little girls who loved jumping rope to two people with a vast chasm between them.

Leslie and I distanced from each other, but I still spied her on the school yard every once in awhile. We never talked - by the time we graduated, you would have never known we knew each other at all.

She went to my junior high - and, by then, we were in vastly different crowds. I never forgot the moment she told me that my being white tarnished me in her parent's eyes.

I was pleased in 7th grade when I found out her new best friend was a white girl named Hillary. And this time, they remained best friends. Last I saw her, she and Hillary were joined at the hip.

As for me? I went on a little wiser to the world, but still am dumbfounded whenever I am reminded that I am white and some people are other things. What does it really matter?

Anonymous said...

So it's his choice to be undercover. That makes more sense. I always thought of Lakeside as welcoming of diversity. Glad it's still that way!

Sue said...

Will,
There you go again, saying so clearly what I have often felt but never able to put into words as well as you do.
I remember being an “Atheist” during most of my teenage year and earl twenties. At that time I think it was because I was rebellious and I needed to understand things in my own frame work. I hated it when people said “you had to take God on faith”. Oh brother…that sounded like such a cop out. Eventually, however, I believed in God again. It just seemed that there had to be a Supreme Intelligence behind a perfect rose, the ebbs and tides of the ocean and the way the solar system just seems to hang together in space. Only a Supreme Intelligence could manage such perfect balance. But a God that knew me personally…no way! It took a long time before I could accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.
So what changed my mind? Well, you could say it was Faith but I have a slightly different point of view.
I think that God, being an intelligent and all powerful being wanted company. He wanted to be loved and he wanted to be loved out of “free will”, not because they were in servatude. I also think he wanted to be entertained to some degree but I don’t mean that in a demeaning way. So, he created an eternal spiritual being in a mortal body. What a contradiction! Mortal humans who need food, shelter, clothing and procreation to survive and have free will too tend to love the world and the things that make us comfortable. We often forget that our spirits are eternal. Or worse, choose to believe we have no spirit and take pleasure in worldly things without conscience. But God so loved the world (us) that he sent his only begotten son to save us. God became flesh so that he could commune with us personally and show us back to the light-- “I am the way the truth and the life, you can only come to the Father through me”
When this idea first came to me, I thought, “Did God make a mistake?” Did he not know what an impossible creature he created when he gave us free will, gave us the world, and then told us all we needed to do is obey Him? How could he not know!? But God knew exactly what he was doing. It is written that He will come to judge us in the final days and I believe this with all my heart. So it is okay, to be Jewish or Muslim or even an Athiest because the Spirit is eternal and I believe, we will live many mortal life times before the final days. The earlier we accept Jesus Christ as the only way to the Father and make the decision to live for God, the better it is for us because it is also written that we know not the day or hour when He will return for the final Judgment..