Monday, April 17, 2006

Bad Analogy

Sometimes a writer can carry things too far in order to get a good analogy. On Saturday, in the on and off rain, Andy Lie and I hiked up a trail at Rockaway Beach. The trail was cold and dark. There were dark clouds on the horizons. And yet, I knew that I had to make this journey up the hill no matter how much the pain racked me. It was a long, arduous climb, but necessary. Because after reaching the top of the hill, I could look out over my life and see a new beginning. That is the way I was going to describe this hike. And thus it is true, from a certain perspective. But a thought just ran through me head a second ago that reminded me that nearly 2000 years ago, another man climbed up a dark hill to reach his destiny and to find a new and better beginning at the top. He, too, was racked with pain, but He also knew it was His destiny.

What makes this a particularly bad analogy, of course, is that my footsteps are nowhere near those of Jesus - thus to equate my soggy pain wracked out of shape suffering up a small hill journey to the one that Jesus made on the hill of Golgotha nearly 2000 years ago would be to stretch an analogy to its thinnest point in human existence. Though I believe suffering to be individually subjective, even I would have to agree that being cheeseburger impaired and excercise deprived and wet, does not in any way equate with that of being crucified. Only the most hyper of hypochondriacs could make that equation work.

I have taken my first steps towards the salvation of renewed life and vigor though, and in that, I am sure Jesus forgives me my bad analogy.

1 comment:

Andy said...

In those terms, I would concur...but Easter is about new life, after all.

As the body is a temple for the Holy Spirit, we are charged to maintain it as well. You are on your way!