Monday, April 24, 2006

Days of Future Perfect - Day Six

If you don't know what's going on by now, I suggest you read like the last five posts. For the rest of you, enjoy Day Six.

The Celeste Prophesy

Its funny how some stories that we make up just seem to come so close to reality. My sister and Andy have been trying to insinuate some sort of fantasy girl into my life for the past several days, commenting on my blog about this new uber fantastic redhead. Things couldn't be further from the truth.

I started my TAC/Disney Day early. I woke up and went for a run along the path between Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge. When I got back, I showered, shaved, and dressed in a casual outfit and headed down to the lobby for my interview with Carl. Carl took the camera and did a rather mundane interview with me in the lobby - asking me again and again where I was going. I told him that it was a secret. He finally gave up and went off to join the others for a day at the Disney Studios.

After they left, I hopped on to a bus to the TTC and then caught a monorail to the Polynesian Resort. I went to the Kona Cafe for breakfast and coffee and leisurely sat back and enjoyed my meal without any kids, adults, or otherwise to bother me. At about 9:00am, I hopped on the monorail again and went to the Grand Floridian, where I caught a cab to my destination.

I had a 9:30am lesson with a private instructor at the Osprey Pines Golf Course near the former Dixie Landings resort. I arrived with about ten minutes to spare, went to the pro shop to get properly outfitted and to rent some equipment, then headed off to find the Pro for my training session. I'd been looking forward to a day of relaxation as I walked around the course, talked golf and sports with my trainer, and just generally chilled out. Then I met my instructor and SHE changed all that.

The moment I saw Celeste, my heart nearly stopped and I felt myself becoming tongue tied and self conscious at the same time. A tall raven haired beauty who looked as if she'd just stepped out of a Grecian statue, she had a bright smile and a gentle tan and a wonderful laugh. I became extremely nervous.

I carried my clubs to the back of the golf cart and we drove to the first tee. She started asking me questions about my golf game and was surprised to hear that I had never played before.

"Usually, we have people who have at least taken a lesson before," she noted.

I explained that I had tried to take lessons before but could never find an empty class in California. Or Idaho, for that matter. She smiled and said that she'd have to change her lesson plan a little, but that she'd still try to teach me. My heart soared - and I realized it had little to do with learning how to play golf.

She couldn't have been more gracious or patient. 16 swings later, I had driven the ball off the tee an entire 70 yards - nearly hitting a tree... and another golfer. She told me to forget about it and we drove to where the ball was. She then explained golf club selection and how each club represented so many yards potential. She handed me a 3 Wood, I think. I forget the yards. I lined up the shot, bent my knees, concentrated on the ball and swung. Fwack! Doing! Ow! I hit the ball hard. It sliced and hit the golf cart and rebounded right at Celeste, who got out of the way just in time for the ball to hit me square in the chest.

"Are you alright?" she asked, bending down over my fallen body. I felt like I could float, but I just nodded and stood back up with a sheepish grin.

"Sorry." I said.

"Maybe golf just isn't your sport," she suggested.

"You don't think there's a little tiger in me?" I asked.

"Well... maybe a little," she said. "Let's try that again."

I'd like to say that eventually I got it. But after two holes it was obvious that I was hopeless. We approached one lie and I walked over to the ball and said, "Would you mind if we just walked for a while? I need some time to absorb all this information and we could let some of the other groups play through."

"Okay," she said.

We walked and talked and learned things about each other and before long, I'd completely forgotten the lesson and the reason I was supposedly there. I didn't shoot a single frame of video on the golf course. I suppose what came next was inevitable, though I certainly didn't see it coming.

As we walked into the clubhouse I said, "I feel like I've wasted your time this morning. Let me make it up to you and take you to lunch?"

Now where the heck had that come from? I almost wanted to look around to see who had said those words knowing that they couldn't have come from me. I expected Celeste to look away embarassed and let me down easy.

"I'd love to," she said.

"Great..." I replied and I suddenly thought, now what?

Just as I was trying to think of a place to take her and impress her, Celeste said, "Do you like burgers?"

Was this a test? I decided not to lie, "Yeah."

"I know this great place. I'll drive." Which was good, since I didn't have a car.

She drove me to the Beach Club resort and we parked and went to Beaches and Cream restaurant and ordered delicious cheeseburgers, cokes, and ice cream sundaes. It was by far the most decadent meal I'd had since I'd gotten there. I just looked at her the entire time and wondered where she put it all.

"I wouldn't have pictured you as the cheeseburger type," I said.

"I eat the worst things," she replied. "If I didn't walk all day... and jump out of the way of bad slices... I might not be in such good shape."

"Stick with me, kid, and I'll make sure you never gain another pound," I said.

We laughed and had a good time, but eventually she had to go back to work and I had to go back to my vacation. I thanked her again for everything and then, it suddenly got quiet between us, as we sensed that this was the end of our time together.

"I'd like to send you a copy of my novel when its done," I said. It was the worst line I could ever imagine saying, but it popped out of my mouth all the same. You'd think a writer could come up with smooth dialogue on the spot... but that's why we're writers and not actors. Ad libs are not our thing.

"Oh... okay," she said.

"But, uh, I need your number or... uh... business card or something," I replied. When you're really embarrassed you can feel your face turning red. I didn't need a mirror to know I was blushing like a crab.

"Sure," she replied, and handed me her business card. "My home phone number is on the back. Call me before you head home. We'll do dinner."

I started looking around for one of those defibrilators because my heart had surely stopped. I shook her hand and she leaned in and kissed my cheek and I knew I was in full cardiac arrest. Somehow, I let go and she walked away and I just stood there like Midas had touched me, unable to move.

Compared with that, what was the rest of my day like? I barely remember. I joined the others in Animal Kingdom and rode Expedition Everest and Dinosaur and cooled down a little on the Kali River Rapids, but I remained tight lipped about my morning telling them only that they would find out on Saturday.

We stayed in at the hotel tonight and ate at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. The kids really loved it and watching them hop around the lobby on wooden horse sticks started to bring me back down to earth. We went for a swim after dinner and just enjoyed our evening together as a family. I reminded Heather about her Disney/TAC Day in the morning and then I went off to a quiet spot to close out my thoughts on camera about what my Disney Day had been like.

And now I'm finished with the blog. Its strange that my friends and family have been trying to hook me up with a fictional redhead when the reality is so much better. Tomorrow, I will have to get my feet back underneath me and continue this vacation without the thought of Celeste constantly on my mind. Wish me luck.

Celeste - definitely not my type. I'm holding out for a redhead. I've waited this long, I'm not about to throw myself at the first beautiful smart athletic golf instructor who comes my way, no matter what my future blog tells me. I've got to remain strong if I'm going to win this bet with Andy ;) See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Indeed, the vacation romance. We all know too well the pitfalls (and pratfalls) associated with long distance relationships.

Clearly, this is a confidence building moment. "Losing" the bet to me begins here.

On the other hand, I don't like being made to look like a liar, either... ;-)

Unknown said...

Will, I so wish I could call you a loser.

Pat said...

I didn't start at the beginning but having read Day Six I will Will.
Very readable.
Hope that doesn't sound patronising - I really enjoyed it.

Will Robison said...

Pi:

I understand what you mean. That would only be an insult had I been trying to write something completely unreadable like Heigel or Chaucer or one of Bush's speeches ;)