Friday, April 28, 2006

Days of Future Perfect - Day Nine

And so we come near the end of these future posts, this one dated from September 16th, 2006. And quite frankly, this one could be potentially embarassing - certainly hurting my chances of ever running for President in the midwest ;)

Princess For A Day

They say that your sexuality is a spectrum - nobody is 100% male or 100% female. We all fall somewhere in between with masculine bits and feminine bits, like women who love football or men who love soap operas. Given that these people obviously think about this stuff too much, I still can't deny a secret place in my heart that has always wanted to be a Princess For A Day.

Now, don't go reading into this any more than is already out there. I've already destroyed my chances of being elected to any office in Utah. I'm going for the whole ball of wax now - frontrunner for Supervisor of San Francisco. I don't mean I want to go pick out a frilly pink dress, wear a tiara, and have high tea with the Queen. I mean that I love Disney Princess movies (and we all know how bland Prince Charming is) and I love stories like The Little Princess and Anne of Green Gables (Ouch, really outed myself there). To me they are a guilty pleasure. I'd much rather watch The Little Mermaid for the 500th time than see another boring version of Tom Sawyer.

Which doesn't mean I'm not a Bond man, and don't aspire to the Indiana Jones toughness or swagger of John Wayne. It just means that there's a soft spot in my heart for singing princesses with talking mice friends and schemes to find true love. What's wrong with that? Maybe I'm just a romantic.

This morning, I got to live out my dream and become a Princess for a Day. Oh sure, I had a proxy - my 18 month old niece, Natalie. But really, this day was all about me!

First thing in the morning, I had room service deliver breakfast in bed to all and sent over a very special tool for Natalie to use on her Disney/TAC Day - a Fairy Wand. I also sent one to my sister and my Mom. After breakfast, when we were all dressed, we left the rest of the men to slumber in bear-like hibernating peace, and we headed out for Downtown Disney's Mega World Of Disney Store. Our first stop of the day was shopping.

We each picked out a tiara (I got a gender neutral hat) and Natalie selected a frilly pink princess dress, which she wore right out of the store. Now dressed in her princess dress, tiara, and carrying her wand, we were ready for the next stop on our journey - breakfast.

But not just any breakfast, Disney's Princess Character Breakfast with Jasmine, Ariel, Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, and Pocahantas. They had the usual breakfast type things and Princesses! The Estrogen was flowing like wine! Little girls running around the restaurant screaming like Mick Jagger had just walked into the room. I was in Little Girl Heaven waving my wand and trying to look stoically male (lest anyone think I was a weirdo).

Do you remember how I started this post? Everyone's a little bit male and a little bit female? Well, my decidedly female niece Natalie, was bored out of her mind. She wanted a beer, I think, and couldn't understand what all the squealing was about. My Mom and sister thought the whole thing was cute, but as I was picking up on Natalie's desire to grunt, scratch, and burp, I knew that she was not the type of woman to go all frilly on us. She was going to be one of the guys - the kind of girl who breaks her boyfriends heart by borrowing his favorite Jerry Rice jersey and never returning it. Ah well, live and learn.

The rest of our last day at WDW was spent mostly shopping and riding last minute rides. Since it was just us girls at first and we were in Epcot, of course we had to ride Test Track three more times before we left, and I ensured that we visited Space Ship Earth as we exited. Then we hopped on a bus to meet the MEN at the Magic Kingdom. We spent the afternoon revisiting our favorite attractions - Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, etc... taking turns with the kids as need be. After about the fifth ride, Dave got tired of me poking him in the back of the head with my wand, so he grabbed it out of my hand and snapped it in two - and just like that, I turned back into a man and smacked Dave on the back of the head with my hand and then he chased me after the ride was over and beat me up. Brothers!

We voted where we wanted to spend our last WDW meal together and the vote was nearly unanimous. And so, despite my new favorite being in Downtown Disney, we went back to EPCOT and ate at Canada's Le Cellier one last time. And then, quietly, we returned to the hotel and started to pack.

Its been a long trip, and its nearly over. Tomorrow, I'll be writing my last post from home. It'll be late, so my comments might be short. See you then.

NO ONE WRITES LIKE OUR WILL, NO ONE FIGHTS LIKE OUR WILL! NO ONE TRAIPSES AROUND WITH A WAND LIKE OUR WILL! I'M ESPECIALLY GOOD AT EXAGGERATING! OH WHAT A GUY IS OUR WILL! Sorry, couldn't help myself... I just become a Beast sometimes... or is it a Beauty. One can never tell. I'll post the last little bit about our trip home sometime this weekend. Now, stay tuned for our regularly scheduled Friday Category - Brought To You By Exxon Mobile and the Letter's F and U.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG, I was laughing so hard at your description of Nattie at breakfast. Yes, I can totally see her, little fiery red-head, being bored silly and glaring at the other kids because she doesn't understand the fuss.

Although, she does quite like her dolly - - so, she might just get into it, after all. And, if she realizes that Josh would just DIE to be in a room full of princesses, she might get into it just to tell him all about it... ;)

Andy said...

Nice.

So where does that leave Celeste?