Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Against The Wind - Bzzzt!

The years rolled slowly past
And I found myself alone
Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends
I found myself further and further from my home
And I guess I lost my way
There were oh so many roads
I was living to run and running to live
Never worryied about paying or even how much I owed
Moving eight miles a minute for months at a time
Breaking all of the rules that would bend
I began to find myself searching
Searching for shelter again and again


We are sometimes no more than mice in a gigantic experiment, running around, looking for cheese, and occasionally taking a wrong turn and ZAP! BZZZZZZTTTT! Electrochock therapy, we get smacked and tossed and turned and thrown for a few loops. We fall on our keisters and sit in our ash heap and wonder where the heck we made a wrong turn.

Against the wind
A little something against the wind
I found myself seeking shelter sgainst the wind


I was walking yesterday, reflecting, walking and reflecting, and most of all resisting. The wind was strong yesterday. I saw several cows fly by - or maybe just one cow that went by twice. I could feel this force, this invisible force, pushing against me as if to say, "NOOO, WILL, NOT THIS WAY! DARN YOU! STOP! AND LOSE SOME WEIGHT! JEEZ, YOU'RE HARD TO STOP!" Nearly blinded by this wind, I kept going forward, resisting, because I knew this was the only way to lose weight, get the girl, and make a name for myself. But... in the back of my mind, I wondered what God wanted me to do.

Well those drifter's days are past me now
I've got so much more to think about
Deadlines and commitments
What to leave in, what to leave out


Late last night, I stared at my computer and felt the little electronic dots staring back at me, daring me, challenging me, telling me in their best Clint Eastwood impersonation, "Go Ahead, make our day!" I didn't feel particularly lucky, punk, so I just sat there and stared. I wanted... no, I NEEDED to get another chapter edited on the Novel. I could feel my anxiety levels growing. I could feel the desire inside me growing. Edit this. Finish this. Do this and all will be right with the world. You'll finish the Novel, then lose weight, then get the girl and make a name for yourself. All I had to do was stop staring and start doing. But there was this force, this invisible force, resisting against me, yelling in my ear, "Don't Will! Stop! Think about what you're doing! Quit now! Get some sleep!" Finally, I could take it no more. I sighed. And turned off my computer. I gave in.

Against the wind
I'm still runnin' against the wind
I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind


The most amazing thing happened. The force fell away from me. I found that I was no longer resisting anything. Like a person who had walked in out of a wind storm and suddenly found themselves in a shelter from the storm, I felt light and free and full of energy for the first time all day long. I could see the cheese at the end of the corridor and there was no zappy things! I plunged headlong down that corridor and ate the cheese. I sat on the edge of my bed and zipped through my reading of Jeremiah, then I tapped through my journal, then I sang my way through four pages of script for my website, then I gently rolled over and went to sleep and had the deepest and most satisfying dream that I've had in weeks. I woke refreshed and renewed and reinvigorated.

I had gained everything I'd really wanted by simply giving up.

And that, ultimately, was the answer to the questions I'd posted on Ariel's blog yesterday. How can we get what we need if we don't work for it? How can we improve if we don't strive for improvement? Simple. We don't own ourselves. We were created by God and we belong to Him. If God wants us to improve, He will improve us. If God wants us to gain a new skill, He will train us. If God wants us to have more money and a family, He will provide it for us. But we will always be doing His will, not our own. Whenever we try to do our own will, we are simply running against the wind.

Resistance is futile. Praise the Lord!

4 comments:

Andy said...

Resistance is futile - Praise the Lord! Love that.

If all our churches used that motto, we'd all grow!

Of course...with Star Trek fans only...

Hmmm...but is assimilation the proper term?

Sue said...

God helps those who help themselves!

Missed you Will. I don't have a computer right and I never have time at work. Just taking a breather and thought I would check in.

Back to subject:
Paster Peter said something recently that I thought was profound. He said "you can choose the easy way or choose the right way".
Maybe we are God's chattel to do with what He wants but He gave us free will. We always have the right to choose and we have to take responsibility for our choices. But you know that....

Will Robison said...

Sue- I've come to start thinking that perhaps we've all got the wrong idea. We keep thinking that doing God's bidding is hard. But it shouldn't be. It should be easy. Maybe its hard because its not what WE WANT to be doing. After all, if God can move entire continents around without batting an eye, why should anything be hard to Him? Perhaps, when we give in and discover the freedom of obedience, we discover just how easy everything becomes.

Andy said...

"Only those that obey believe" and "only those that believe obey".

Bonhoeffer's words regarding faith and obedience to Christ ring so very true.

The paradoxes of Christianity...gotta love it.