Friday, June 23, 2006

Lackadaisical

Sometime early in High School, Andy introduced me to this word - Lackadaisical. I have been in love with it ever since. So much different than lazy or lethargic, lackadaisical is lethargy with whimsy. Its effortless. Its willful in not wanting to work, but not in neglecting work. Lazy is SO GERMAN. It is a disdain for labor of any sort. Lazy is a teenager told to mow the lawn during the summer months. Lazy is T.O. running out a pass play in spring practice when he's not getting paid and there are no reporters around. Lazy is spiteful. Lethargy is medical. It is clinical. It is what happens when a dog is in mourning and no longer chases cats. Lethargy is forced laziness - as if you would work if you could only overcome it. But lackadaisical is something altogether different. Lackadaisical is lack of work because you're too busy doing other things, better things, funner things. It is leaving the dishes in the sink overnight because you go to a midnight screening of King Kong. It is putting your homework off until the morning so that you can party tonight. It is walking to work and arriving late because it was just too nice to drive. Lackadaisical is inadvertent. It is non-challance as an adverb. It is aloof and devil-may-care.

My faith has been very lackadaisical. Really, my whole life has been lackadaisical. I have not been in any hurry to get anywhere. I have just been trying to go with the flow, enjoy the ride, and act like I'm above it all. I have been seeking a watered down faith, as C.S. Lewis describes it, without hardship, without pain, without suffering. I have gone up to Golgotha and entertained the soldiers while they were crucifying my Lord. No hard feelings. You were only doing what was required. Its not your fault really. Have a nice day.

When it has been time to do the hard things at church, I have found an excuse for not being there. This may not seem like me. I have always volunteered for serving coffee or collecting the offering. I have participated in just about every service. I have served on committees and lead the youth group. But I have never been serious about it. I have never done it with some knowledge of what I might be doing to further God's church. I have merely been going through the paces. You need me to lift that table. Sure. Okay. Goodbye. And off I go.

I say this not as a means to convict myself. I am a sinner and will always be one. God will convict me in His own time. I say this because I hope that we all understand James admonishment about works and faith. You can't get to heaven on works without faith and vice versa. Think about it. What would a relationship with God look like if there were no works involved? Welcome to the Church of the Lazy with our new self-serve communion. Come on in, or don't. We don't want to pressure you in any way. We might be here for you if you need us. We'll get around to helping you if we don't have anything better to do that Sunday. We'll fight injustice in our own time and in our own way - not limited to serving cookies, the occassional reading of scripture, and, every once in a while, an extra buck or two in the collection plate for a good cause. Is this a church you want to join? Is this a church where you are already a member?

God asked his buddies to help move his church. When He asked you, were you busy that day? Did you find a convenient excuse? Did you tell him that you'd show up if He bought beer and pizza and then only showed up after all the heavy lifting was done? Or did you show up ready to work and take nothing in return for the pleasure of helping a friend?

There are plenty of things still to move. Plenty of boxes still to pack. Plenty of messes still to clean. Its never too late to lift a hand and help out.

Thank God for that.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Talk about convicting.

The easy thing for me in recent months would have been to walk away from my church through all the hassles. But the family insisted we stay - they liked the people there (as do I) - but more importantly, it's where God wants me (speaking through my family and friends).

It was how I viewed my time (upon retrospect) growing up at Lakeside - lackadaisical, and certainly not necessarily understanding what it all meant, other than a safe place to be, learning "church-stuff", and a place with great friends. Some busywork, like you describe, but it didn't feel like work that was "Building the Kingdom".

It is an easy trap to fall into, and one I am cognizant of - but I know that where I am today, I am working to help build the Kingdom. It's not easy, and there are challenges, and God's teaching me to be patient and to listen to Him and to trust that He'll lead me through the challenges and strengthen my faith as a result.

Good, convicting post, bro.