Monday, May 15, 2006

Moving On

Forget my position on Iraq or the Presidency of George Bush. America is too important for partisan politics or to get swallowed up by past mistakes, whether they are acknowledged or not. Its time for this nation to move on, heal itself, and prepare for new challenges ahead.

I thought I'd discuss my thoughts on where we go from here. In thinking these things, I am distancing myself from the Democratic party that wants to spend all of its time looking into the past. Bush screwed up. Get over it. Move on. Let's start figuring out how America can regain its place in the world again.

Internationally, we need to bridge the gaps that have been created with our allies and with the rest of the world's governments. We need to not only support the UN's mission, but we need to start playing its game of peace and diplomacy. I see shreds of hope coming out of the Bush administration with regards to Iran - but then Iran is a much scarier foe than Iraq ever was and we need to be cautious here. Let's see what we can accomplish with diplomacy instead of rhetoric. I'm not saying that the UN is perfect, but its the only thing we've got right now to deal with international crisis. Beyond that, we need to strengthen the role of NATO in the world's hot spots. America has got to end its isolationist military policy of the last 6 years. We have allies for a reason. Occassionally, it might be a good idea to listen to them instead of always going it alone. Are we going to end up bearing the weight of combat duties? Sure. But we could have at least convinced our allies to take over our roles in Kosovo or Afghanistan so that we could have freed our troops for action in other parts of the world.

The war on terror has not ended and it will never end until the terrorists give up. They will never give up so long as there is a reason to fight. This is why our war needs to be two part - it needs to be ruthless in its hunting down and exterminating terrorists wherever they hide, and it needs to be extremely compassionate in attacking the reasons terrorism exists in the first place. Extremism doesn't just rise up out of the blue. It is created by a series of tragic events that push a people to the breaking point. We need to intervene before that happens, not mop up after the fact. This, ironically, is where the United States could be great. Not in fighting the war, so much, as in preventing it from ever happening. We need to be the leaders of the world in more ways than just militarily.

I will not speak of particular domestic issues. While I don't agree with much of what the current regime espouses, I recognize their right to espouse those ideals and the laws that govern them. And I hope that they recognize my right to do the same. What I will speak of is the need to end the divisiveness in this nation. There is a serious communication gap between the right and the left. The moderates have all chosen at this moment in history to become self-conscious about speaking their minds and building bridges of understanding and compromise. Its become My Way or the Highway in Washington D.C. and both sides are playing the game. No matter how the election turns out, governing means governing for all the people, not just the ones that voted for you - and that goes for the right and left. We need to seek common ground as Americans and discover our path from that common ground.

To Bush, I would say this. Come clean. If your domestic spying program is really seeking to stop terrorism in the United States, and its working, I'd be shouting it from the rooftops by now. I know you don't comment on current intelligence operations or methods, but there's got to be a way to let people know that it isn't as bad as it sounds. Shrugging your shoulders and saying, "We did nothing wrong," is not encouraging. In fact, it has quite the opposite effect. Address the American people. Stand tall in your resolve. Give us a detailed explanation about what your administration is doing, is planning on doing, and has done in the past in regards to Iraq, the war on terror, and your energy policy. Show us that our misgivings are not accurate, and we'll leave you the heck alone. Its that simple. You are the President. You don't get the luxury of saying, "Its none of your damn business." You work for us, not the other way around.

These are the ways I see this country going forward from here. But I would like to hear your opinions, no matter how crazy you think I am. We can't move forward together if we don't start listening to each other.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Thank you for that.

Republicans don't listen to Demos, and vice versa, and frankly, I'm sick of 'em both. Both sides have become so entrenched in their positions they refuse to even consider any sort of middle ground.

My own voting history is telling. First Presidential election was 1988 for me...voted Bush Sr (would have preferred Dole winning the Republican nomination that year). 1992 & 1996 voted Clinton (Clinton won me over in 1992 when he spoke to 60 Minutes early in the primary season after he lost Iowa and NH). 2000 voted Bush Junior (thought he was a moderate - boy was I wrong - and I've never like Gore - but I would have liked John McCain to have won the Republican nomination that year). 2004 voted Kerry (mainly because I wasn't going to vote Bush again).

I'm afraid in the mid-term, we're not going to see much improvement. And I'm afraid that the choices we'll have in 2008 aren't going to be much better. Hilary? That's a laugher - talk about dividing the country even further. Even Condoleeza is a stretch, because she'd never be able to distance herself from Bush's policies.

I like your ideas, and I'm hopeful someone will step forward who can bridge those gaps. I'm just afraid that anyone who's a true leader won't run.

Will Robison said...

I hadn't looked at this idea politically, but you made some great points. I'm with you in believing that the American people just aren't ready for change yet. There will be no change after the mid-terms. And unless we see some new candidates that have been heretofore hiding from us, I'm afraid 2008 won't be much better. I liked John McCain, but I'm afraid he's appealing a little too much to the Republican base right now for me to vote for him. My other choices for President probably all make too much sense and therefore could never win.

I guess the sort of turnaround I'm looking for from George Bush is the kind that Arnie is currently enjoying here in California. He got crushed in the last voting cycle where all the proposals he made were defeated. But he's learned from his mistakes to the point where I might seriously consider voting for him this time. Of course, I'm still worried he'll abandon his new moderate stand and swing back to the safety of the right, in which case I'll have to vote for Angelides.

Andy said...

The gubernatorial election in CA is going to suck. On the one hand, I'm with you on Arnie - but it helps to have all this excess cash (which might not be there next year).

Angelides is TOO much of a Democratic insider, which is why I'd like to see Westly somehow win the Democratic nomination.

In either case, I'm not hopeful - and I imagine Arnie will have to unfortunately pander to the right-wing Republicans to get their vote before ticking 'em off again and moving back to being a moderate.

And since term limits would be up for Arnie if he wins a 2nd term, he could go 4 years ticking off the right-wingers - and maybe really govern.

But I'm not hopeful.

Sue said...

I liked it better when you hated Bush with the same passion and zeal that I do. However, I guess all things must end and perhaps I can hate him a little less if I really tried. I feel that Bush has never been able to connect with the working class. He always seemed a little to arrogant and privileged to me. And forget the poor. I don't think he knows about them yet.
The one thing I found hopeful about Bush Jr. was that I don't think he really wanted to be President. I think he only did it to honor his father. Anyone actively seeking the power of the Presidency would have to be a meglamaniac to some degree and power always corrupts. The fact that George never really wanted it makes him a less formidable to me. Frankly, I never thought Bush was smart enough to be a totally corrupt leader anyway.

That is the nicest thing I can say today. But I promise I will work harder at it. :)