Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Tanks On Empty - Hallelujah!

Boy, I am not going to lie to you. There are days when I can't imagine raising my head to sing God's praises. There are days when I want to never leave the comfort of my bed. There are days when work and church and school and T-Ball and youth group and choir and basketball and everything else that I have running in my life seems like too much and I want to just let all the balls drop, to hear them bounce away from me, so that I can crawl into a nice comfortable cocoon and rest. Life would be so much simpler then, so much more satisfying, if I got to keep all of it for myself - if I didn't have to share with anyone.

In the past few months I've been to two amusement parks that I didn't want to attend. I've walked around a tidal basin when I would have much rather slept in. I played ultimate frisbee in the park when I would have rather been at home pretending to watch television. I went to several movie screenings with my friends that I really couldn't afford and probably could have waited until they were on DVD. I forced myself to travel all over San Francisco to film a movie that didn't really need to be made. I tagged along to the All Star Fan Fest to watch a T-Ball game that was just another opportunity for a sponsor to make money. I have done things that I didn't want to do. And, as a result, I missed out on all that glorious, self satisfactory, free time.

Jesus said it best, but I'm still going to paraphrase: In order to have a life, you must give away the one you have.

Life is so inconvenient to those who would rather laze away a sunny afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus said it best, but I'm still going to paraphrase: In order to have a life, you must give away the one you have.

Yep.

Cheers.

Honey said...

what is the actual quote? That is beautiful.