Monday, July 23, 2007

Anticipation

They huddled together in line - a large group of them, talking excitedly amongst themselves.

"What do you think it'll be like?"

"I don't know, but I expect we'll finally have all the answers."

Up ahead, with some excitement, they could see that the line was moving and that a person at the front of the line was checking off their names and then handing them a book. With an excited squeal, the people receiving their books opened them immediately and plunged into the contents - smiling broadly as they walked through the doors just past the man and disappeared from sight.

"I can't wait. I've been waiting for this my whole life."

"It's just a little longer. In another couple of minutes, all the mysteries will be solved, all the heroes will get their rewards, and all the villains their comeuppance."

"I can't believe that some people are not in this line. This is like THE event."

"Not everyone agrees with you. Some people have better things to do."

"Better than this?! Do you remember that time when..."

"I remember it all - the good times, the bad times, the exciting parts, the scary parts, and the parts where I felt like I'd never fell happy again... Quite frankly, I'm glad its almost over and I can relax knowing that everyone is safe and happy for ever after."

The line surged forward again. The excited whispering seemed to be reaching a fever pitch as more and more people joined the line at the back and an exciting party like atmosphere was breaking out. After all, this event was only going to happen once and then never again. Everyone in line agreed, the wait had been worth it.

Finally, I reached the front of the line and it was my turn, my pleasurable turn. I walked up to the old man and waited patiently.

"Name?"

"Will Robison."

"Ah yes..." he said, "I've saved a place for you. Here's the Book. Welcome!"

And St. Peter handed me a copy of the Bible and the doors to my salvation opened before me. My anticipation was over. My Joy had just begun.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Indeed...'tis the great anticipation that we all share. If only we could continue to have that anticipation daily...not an easy task some days.

Nice post, bro!