Monday, July 02, 2007

iDOL

I lined up the other day with hundreds of other folks because I just happened to be walking down the street and there was this line.

"What are we waiting for?" I asked.

"Its the most amazing thing," said one man, "Its a new thing that will absolutely save your life."

"Some sort of life saving device?" I queried.

"No," said another, "Its everything you ever wanted all rolled into one. Its going to change the world. I wouldn't be surprised if it can even effect the weather!"

"Wow, that sounds impressive," I admitted. "What is it?"

"They've both got it wrong," said a third, "This thing is just absolutely amazing. I'm willing to shell out a thousand bucks for mine and then pay another 200 bucks a month just to have the ability to tell other people that I have one in my own home. I'll be the envy of my neighborhood. I'll be toasted and feted and people will come from miles around to see and praise my new thing. This is the start of something huge and I'm going to be in at the very beginning. I'm going to be one of the few people who can say that I was there when it first appeared on Earth."

Starting to get a little annoyed at all this hyperbole, I asked a little more forcefully, "Yes, but what is this thing?!"

"It's the new fruit colored iDOL and you will absolutely worship it!"

"No, thanks," I replied. "I really can't afford it and besides, I already have something to worship - something you can't see, or feel, or touch, but that has already saved me from a fate worse than death."

Sometimes it's better not to get in other people's lines.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Bravo.

Excellent thoughts on the heels of that iMania that has iSwept the iGeeks and iOthers in iSociety.

Give me iAhweh any day.