Monday, February 05, 2007

Overstimulated

As near as scientists can tell, an autistic person is one receives outside stimulus (lights, colors, touch, etc...) and has a hard time processing it. When things are calm and normal, an autistic person will react normally - even though they are being bombarded with things we consider normal - but when things are not calm and normal, when they are trying to deal with a confusing overabundance of outside stimulae or new stimulae that they've never dealt with before, an autistic person will freak out (that's not the scientific term). They have yet to discover what causes autism and I will not venture to guess here, but I did have a realization the other day that may help me to understand the situation.

I spent the day on Friday at my desk taking numbers from one computer, writing them down, and then reentering them into another computer. It was boring work and my brain was going on overdrive trying to process all of these numbers. At the end of the day, I climbed in my car and started the engine and the radio kicked on. I immediately switched it off as the sound of people talking was suddenly just too much. I accelerated out of the driveway, turned on to the road, and immediately became agitated driving behind someone who was barely going the speed limit. And that was when it occurred to me... I was reacting like someone whose brain was overstimulated and who suddenly found it impossible to handle all these conflicting stimulae without freaking out.

We live at a time where this is more stimulus than at any other time in history. We are constantly bombarded with images, sounds, thoughts, emotions, smells. Our phones can now take pictures, receive pictures, play music, play video games, send and receive e-mails, play TV, play video... and make phone calls. And these are just our phones.

Ten years ago I was manager of the Hyatt Movie Theater in Burlingame. During the six months I managed the theater, I had two days off. Not vacation days. Not sick days. Two days, period! And one of those days, I still went in early to open the theater for the employees. During that time, I remember one thing very clearly, the phone constantly rang - and everytime I answered it, it was bad news. I got to the point where I hated the phone.

I still do. To this day, I can't hear the phone and immediately go into sensory overload. My phone rings and a little touch of panic runs through me. I talked on the phone so much in six months, that I learned to loathe the device. Today, while I have a cell phone and a phone at home, I still use it very infrequently to call people. I much prefer e-mail.

I think we are experiencing a period in our history where we as a society are making ourselves autistic. We are cramming so much stimuli into every situation (its not enough to watch a good football game, we have to have 65 hours of pre-game, Billy Joel singing the national anthem while Blue Angels fly overhead, fireworks, a marching band with neon lights, 2.5 Million Dollar 30 second commercials, and Prince singing a half hour half time show with electric guitars and even more half naked cheerleaders) that we are literally overdosing on the stuff. It is causing us to freak out. We are unable to react normally to situations. All of this extra stimulation is preventing us from keeping a sense of perspective about life and about the world. We are ADD Cafinated Sugar Laden children trying to have a time of quiet prayer and reflection. Good luck.

Its no wonder we go into our homes and try to shut out the world. We'll happily trade the relatively quiet stimulation of an IPOD for all the outrageous stimulation that American life is trying to throw our way. We don't have to deal with too many things that way. We can try to be alone with our thoughts by blocking everything else out with a song that we've heard so many times that it no longer distracts us.

That's why I've decided this Lent to give up the one thing that overstimulates me the most - Telecommunications. For forty days and forty nights, I will not watch or listen to television, radio, video games, movies, etc... Unfortunately, I can not include computer on that list since I have to work on one (and I have film classes as well as a novel). I will spend the time instead reflecting and trying to work on real life relationships - stimulation of a positive and healthy nature - with friends, family, and God.

It will not be easy. In addition to missing Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, etc... I will also be purposefully missing March Madness. This will be a great sacrifice for me. But, hopefully, it will open up new channels of communication and allow me to exist in my world in a more satisfactual way.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll TiVo for you.

I think that TiVo has saved my life. Honestly. When I need a moment to sit down and watch t.v. and just zone out and reflect on nothing but what's on the screen, I have TiVo. When I am too busy with the other things in my life, I am no longer distracted by the thought of what I am missing on t.v. I have missed the entire second season of Lost and I didn't even realize it - because I could TiVo it and be o.k. Now, I can catch up when it suits me. Which means, when I have a cold and want to stay in bed and relax and I am too tired to read but not tired enough to watch t.v., I have TiVo.

Anyhow, I like what you have said because I often find too much stimuli overwhelms me. Too much stress packed in a small ball and I can't handle it. The dog barking, kids crying, husband talking at me, phone ringing.... its too nuts sometimes and I just shut down - or worse, explode.

That's why I quit my job. It was the catalyst of far too many bad moments. Its also why I will never regret taking on a job that is "beneath" my education. Because those jobs are often extremely relaxing to me.

Sue said...

Will,
Sometimes I feel so in tune with your brain that it is a little uncanny. This is one of the topics that has been uppermost on my mind lately. I feel overwhelmed most of the time and you hit it right on the button. I am over stimulated by all the choices, all the INFORMATION and all of the things demanded of me on a daily basis. I used to refuse to watch the news because of it. Now, I just put on all my "new world" music full of whale songs, ocean waves and birds singing and try to decompress each evening. I also pray a lot.

It is very interesting that your analogy with autism was one that I have used regarding our relationship to the world. My theory is that when we are small children, babies really, and start becoming aware that we are no longer connected to God as we were before we were born, we start to become more connected to the world. About that time, we also start learning and understanding speach and we start to forget God's language. As we all know, it is the love of worldly things that tempt us away from God. Autistic children however, reject the world almost immediately. It is as if they know of better place from which they came, and refuse to love the world and all of its stimuli. They are God's children.

I know I might sound a little "out there" but I remember so clearly being that small and discovering things in the world. I also remembering being loved by something "divine" but letting it pass away so freely as the world became more important to me. I had forgotten all of this for a while but I guess you can say I had an epiphany.

One of the reasons I decided to come back and start reading your blog again, Will, is that this is one of the few forums that I can talk about this kind of stuff. I really enjoy what you say and how it "stimulates" my mind.:)

So glad you are out there!

Sue said...

speech, speak, spoke.
I hate spelling