Monday, February 26, 2007

An Inconvenient Film - Just When You Thought It Was Safe

To make a really long story just long, I am taking a film class and I had to make a 3 minute Super 8mm film this weekend. I chose to make the film at the beach.

Problem #1: Having already overcome the lack of equipment, and the lack of time to make said film, I finally only had the one weekend to make this movie, and it was supposed to rain - hardcore - all weekend long. So, Saturday morning, in the hour and a half I had before the basketball game I was doing stats for, I ran down to the beach in the darkness of a pre-storm morning and tried to make the film by myself. The first couple of shots, other than having to run away from the waves a couple of times, were just fine. But when I got to the middle of my film and a montage sequence of people walking, strolling, jogging, riding bikes, etc... I discovered a little flaw in my plan - there were no people at the beach besides me and the birds. Time was up anyway, and I drove home, wet and frustrated.

Problem #2: Problem already solved since I had already arranged help for Sunday from a friend of mine. Even though it was supposed to pour down rain all day Sunday, I figured there might be some sunlight. So when Sunday dawned bright with occassional showers, I was pleased. I ducked out of church early, grabbed my friend and headed for the beach.

"I need to be back home at 1pm."

"What?"

"Yeah, my Mom needs help hauling something."

We filmed five scenes (shooting over again with more light) and then had to go back to his house - then drive across San Francisco to Bernal Heights, pick up a desk, haul it back to his house, then go to lunch in the Inner Sunset at a great Indian food place where I had Chicken Vindaloo and Naan. It was 3 o'clock before we were able to head back to the beach.

Now rushing to finish ahead of the incoming storm (again) and the dwindling light, there was still the problems I had faced the day before, finding people to walk, job, run, etc... I was creative, but it wasn't easy and it took a big chunk of time. I got through that stretch of film as the tide started rolling in, only to discover that the next sequence on my shooting script calls for waves smashing off rocks - which means getting close to the waves and the rocks. Down I run to the waves, film, scream like a little girl, and then run away. At one point I was filming waves as water completely surrounded the rock I was standing on.

But I don't have time to slow down, I have to keep filming, the light continues to fade, the waves keep getting closer, my stuff keeps getting further and further back on the beach, and I keep getting as close to the waves as I can without getting wet.. ter.

Finally, with the filming done, my friend and I head back to my car and load the equipment inside and climb in. We're wet, chilled to the bone, and tired. And just as I start the engine, the rain started to fall.

You can take your Oscar anytime... to me, this is what film making is all about!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummmm, point of order. It's probably not wise to follow a post about singing in the church choir with one concerning "film" wherein the word "hardcore" appears.

Unless, of course, there's method in your madness and you're looking to increase your hit count to 500,000,000 per day.

Unless, of course, that's the plan to then witness to them that know not their googling.

You sly dog.

Cheers.

Andy said...

I wonder, if the MPAA were to rate this film, would it get an NC-17? PG? PG-13? R? G? Or dare I say... X ? Or XXX?

Just wondering.

Yes, this was a not-so-subtle attempt to assist with your plan to witness to unsuspecting Googlers.

Will Robison said...

Randal - I'm just taking a page from your salacious game plan. I expect some serious hits now - maybe even a few from Sweden. One day, I want to marry an EMBLOS just like you! ;)

Andy - you achieved it when you wrote Googlers instead of the usual Hooters. Oh wait... that doesn't say "to witness unsuspecting googlers" does it?