Monday, July 06, 2009

Rock The Boat...

Luke 8:22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.

24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!"

He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples.

On Wednesday of last week I had the following thought: "Perhaps I'm taking on a little too much responsibility. I mean, come on, a movie AND a trip to Kenya? Not to mention all the other little projects I've got going on. Am I so arrogant as to believe that I can do all of this stuff? Am I perhaps being a little too much like Icharus? Are my wings on fire?"

Less than half an hour later, my boss called me into a meeting about various different things and let me know exactly that with tough times might come tough measures - including the possibility that I might not have a job in the near future. Needless to say, in these economic times, this news did not surprise me. But it did shock me a little. Its one thing to suspect things are coming. Its quite another to hear them spoken out loud.

My immediate thought was, "There goes Kenya." Even if I were to find a new job, and one that pays quite a bit more than what I'm making now, the odds of any new employer letting one of their brand new employees tromp off to Kenya for two weeks in January seems extremely remote. I also came to the immediate conclusion that if I didn't get outside money for my movie, it too was not going to fly.

As the week progressed and I alternated between moods of despair and hope, I wandered around lost. My mental ship of state had taken a wallop of a storm wave and was just swirling around and around like a canoe in a whirlpool.

Finally, I grabbed hold of myself and said, "Where is your faith?" The first storm wave had come along and I had let go of the tiller and just drifted - like a rookie seaman.

I knew that raising $3600 to go to Kenya was going to be difficult in this economic climate, but I guess, deep-down, I suspected that I might still accomplish it. See, I'm something quite special and I have amazing powers and... God had to rid me of that suspicion. There is NO WAY I am going to Kenya without His help. He will get me there and all power and glory to Him.

It is not Moses getting his people out of Egypt. It is God. I am not going to Kenya. I am being sent. And when I set foot in that distant land, I will rejoice and know that He has made it possible.

(That's assuming I don't drown in debt in the meantime ;)

2 comments:

Andy said...

Look at it this way...

If you're being sent to Kenya, and you're job might not exist anymore, and funding for the movie dries up...

...you might be in Kenya for a lot longer than you think...because His purpose for you there might be greater than you even realize right now.

Just sayin'...

Anonymous said...

The important thing is that you are to be lead by God. That means, get out of the driver seat and pray the car doesn't go over a cliff.

:)

Cheers.