Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bring It On!

Every once in a while a Hollywood movie gets the feeling of religion right. One of my absolute favorite Hollywood scenes, one that sticks with me every single day, is the sight of Lt. Dan sitting at the top of Forrest Gump's boat during a severe hurricane and screaming at the top of his voice into Heaven, "YOU CALL THIS A HURRICANE!" At some point in life, I think we all feel like yelling at God and challenging him with our macho bravado. Of course, deep down we know that God won't destroy us, or else we would never yell what we yell. What we are really yelling is, "Okay, God, I'm ready to be tempered. Do your worst!"

After an incredibly long stretch of life as usual, spinning my wheels and getting nowhere, I prayed to God a couple of weeks ago that I was ready for change, ready to be tempered, ready to be forged. I told God to bring it on.

Well, He sent the hurricane alright. And so, as I sit there, surrounded by the buffeting winds of my life and the rain on my face, I can't help but smile and say, "You call this a hurricane!" I've brought it on myself, and I'm ready for more!

Bring it on, God! Bring it on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just don't throw yourself off the pinnacle.

Cheers.