Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Christian Music

I grew up in the choir - almost as much as I grew up in Youth Group. My first choir director was Mr. Groves. When I was in grade school, Mr. Groves would not only teach and direct the boys and girls choirs, but he would also write and direct musicals. I sang in a couple of these musicals, most notably as Jamichi's Grandfather and The Selfish Giant - though I really wanted to be the dragon.

As I grew too old for boys choir and my voice started to change, I joined the adult Chancel Choir. I joined them just in time for Mozart's Requiem. To this day, that is one of the most challenging and best pieces of music I've ever sang. I sang with the adult choir, off and on, throughout high school and into my first year of college. Then I left to join the Navy.

Also during my youth group years, we would have singing sessions during our meetings and sometimes on our work camps. My good friend, Andy, preached recently about sitting around a campfire on the beach singing songs. One of the songs he mentioned was Have You Seen Jesus? I read the title, and I admit, it brought back no memories for me. I could see half of the titles as songs that I'd probably sung, but only a few tunes had stuck in my head since then.

More than ten years after I'd gone off to the Navy, I decided to go back to Lakeside. The thing that drew me back, actually, was the chance to sing in the choir. Though I was rusty at first, I really enjoyed the time spent singing. I've never been a very good singer - maybe better than average, but that's about it. I'd come to respect the fact that I was never going to be the next Pavarotti a long time before. And since, when you go off into the world, you tend to forget those skills that aren't going to take you anywhere - like riding a bike or playing pinball - I'd left singing behind as something I no longer needed. But when it was time to go back, I remembered how much joy I'd had singing. And sitting in that choir and singing to God really brought me back to my youth and reminded me of how good it felt to be in communion with God. I haven't looked back since.

The strangest thing happened to me today. Out of the clear blue, I was thinking about my Uncle's struggle with cancer and wondering what the future held in store for us all, and suddenly... this tune popped into my head. My brain is weird, all the time, and so I realized that it had probably seen the title of the song and started sifting through twenty years of memories to find the corresponding tune and words. But there I was, at work, suddenly humming and singing "Have You Seen Jesus?".

Here are the lyrics, in case, like me, you've forgotten a word or two...

Have You Seen Jesus My Lord?
Words and Music by John Fischer
(Written during his summer as the first music director at Ponderosa Lodge, the new high school camp at Mount Hermon Christian Conference Center.)

Have you seen Jesus my Lord
He's here in plain view
Take a look open your eyes
He'll show it to you

Have you ever look at the sunset
With the sky mellowing red
And the clouds suspended like feathers
Then I say you've seen Jesus my Lord

Have you seen Jesus my Lord
He's here in plain view
Take a look open your eyes
He'll show it to you

Have you ever stood at the ocean
With the white foam at your feet
Felt the endless thundering motion
Then I say you've seen Jesus my Lord

Have you seen Jesus my Lord
He's here in plain view
Take a look open your eyes
He'll show it to you

Have you ever looked at the cross
With a man hanging in pain
And the look of love in his eyes
Then I say you've seen Jesus my Lord

(I remember a verse that isn't there... so I think maybe there was another later version).

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you some thoughts on music. Hallelujah, Amen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Andy's post yet (been very busy and away from an internet connection), but this has a very Mendociono association for me too. I couldn't have sung the words by heart any more. Thanks for the reminder. What's the other verse you remember?

Andy said...

Yes, there's verse in there about seeing Jesus on the face of your brother. I have the song at home...I'll post it tonight.

I remember cracking up singing it for a 9 am service once - because I recall you Will, looking at your brother Dave's face, and simply laughing as we sang that verse.

Will Robison said...

Andy, you're dead on! That was the verse I remember! Something like...

Have you ever looked at the family...
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Seen the face of Christ on your brother,
Then I say, my friend, you've seen...
Jesus, my Lord.

And I can still hear Laura's voice singing those intermittent refrains. Weird.

Unknown said...

I just can't wrap my mind around the tune. I have Tunisia.

But, the words are very familiar.

What was the song where we made the cymbals crash? O.K., I admit, at first I typed that as "Symbols Crash." Much different connotation...

Its all a blur to me.

Andy said...

"Have you ever stood in the family
With the Lord there in your midst,
Seen the face of Christ on each other?
Then I say, you've seen Jesus, my Lord."

And Heather, the song you're thinking of is "He's Everything to Me".

Unknown said...

Now I remember this song! The "Here I am Lord" part has a similar melody to The Brady Bunch! LOL!! That's why I can't remember the rest of the melody because everytime I would sing "Here I am Lord, Can you Hear Me?" (or however it goes), my mind would instantly go to "living with three boys of his own... They were four men, living altogether..."

(Sigh)

Kind of like how if you want to hum the Superman Theme, all you think of is the Star Wars theme and vice versa.

Engineerus Lex said...

we sang some of the same songs in Austin, Texas around 1975-76 in our college singles group. I have lost the lyrics and would love to have them again.

One that I'm looking for is When I'm Feeling Lonely.

We also sang songs from the Young Life Song Book - I especially liked Hymn.

illustrationISM.... said...

When my wife sings this to me, it's peaceful,
soothing and lulls me to sleep! Like Shepherd David soothing King Saul, with his music!

Margarita said...

This is great! I was an ISEP student from August to December 1983 at Frostburg State College, and I learnt this song at an interdenominational retreat we had. I've been looking for the words of this song as I love the tune and it has stayed with me always. So I googled "have you seen Jesus my lord? lyrics" and I came upon your blog! I am so happy!

I also remember fragments of a "Wedding" song.

Our Chaplain was Fr Kieron Fergus (Dominican)(I hope I have the correct surname) and we had a Protestant Chaplain as well. We called him by his first name.

Is there anyone out there that's been to Frostburg State College (now University)?

Thank you so much!

Margaret Cassar (now Megally)