Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thankful Thoughts

Its not Friday, but it might as well be... so here are a few of my thankful thoughts...

I, too, was appalled at the Weaver's portrayal of their Christianity in last nights episode of the Amazing Race - that hit oh too close to home (They started in Lake Powell, went to Green River, UT, and then ski-jumped at the Utah Olympic Park, and finally ended up in Salt Lake City... been there... done that!). I can't say I know anything about the Weavers and to criticize them unjustly would be wrong. So I can imagine that they come from a church full of like minded individuals in Florida and have probably never been challenged in their faith before. Their idea of good deeds is writing a check, washing cars and baking cookies for fund raisers, and perhaps even attending a week long mission trip to Mexico to help those poor individuals who are unfortunate enough to live there. Though their minds are in the right place, their hearts are maybe not there yet. They can't imagine being those people - therefore they can't see them as people. Its the old, There But For The Grace of God, Go I syndrome. If you can't honestly say that about your situation, then you have missed the point. Empathy begins with imagination - with realizing that you too could be homeless or poor or tired or angry or whatever. I think the Weavers have never been challenged to empathize with others less fortunate than them. And as a result, like so many of us, when they feel attacked by others, they attack back. The reason Christ said to turn the other cheek wasn't because He was some sort of masochist, but because He understood that until you realize why that person has hit you in the first place, you will never be able to dissapate their anger. What the Weavers should have done was reach out with an olive branch to their other teammates and try to understand them instead of taunting them and condemning them and saying bad things about them and then being unable to understand why everyone was mad at them. They will know you are Christians by your love, not by your admission of faith.

On this Thanksgiving weekend, I am thankful of so many things;

For my health and the continued health of my entire family, I am thankful, Lord.
For the addition of a new niece into my world, I am thankful, Lord.
For the continued joy that I see on my nephew's face, I am thankful, Lord.
For a healing church and renewed spiritual energy, I am thankful, Lord.
For a nation willing to question itself, I am thankful, Lord.
For friends who continue to inspire me, I am thankful, Lord.
For entertainment and sports to enjoy, I am thankful, Lord.
For freedom to speak and to write, I am thankful, Lord.
For peace, for hope, for faith, for charity, for you, oh God, I am thankful, Lord.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I will see you on Monday.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Amen. Simply Amen to your thankful thoughts.

More Weaver thoughts: (I posted a bit about them on Heather's blog) - you're right, we can't judge them, and the sinner in me already has, which makes me Pharasaical, frankly. And I don't like that part of me.

I think you're right, Will, in that the Weavers likely haven't been tested in their faith. If you put them in the context of the parable of the soil, they appear to be rocky soil, with shallow roots, and a prickly, thorny plant. And they have a tendency to run from their faith when things get hard.

The fact that they keep reminding us of their faith makes me think that they're not reminding us, but maybe trying to remind themselves of their faith.

I have to admit that this leg brought me back 22 years. Yes, between Lake Powell and Green River...if we see one of them play Mr. Do in Green River, then God is sending us a message!

Grace and Peace to you brother!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been watching the Great Race, though I have in the past. It's one of the better reality shows, which by and large have become a blight on the TV schedule. Survivor is another one that is worth watching. I have tried to catch as may episodes of Survivor as I can this season.

I am always intrigued to see how the story people tell about themselves and the way they really act compare, especially in these highly competitive and stressful situations. In real life we can't always see the contrast so clearly. Survivor allows us not only to see people respond to the challenges thrown at them, but we hear them talk about their inner response to those situations and the interpersonal tensions that develop.

I've noticed that the winner of Survivor isn't always the strongest or the nicest person. It does help to be likable, but there is a lot of distance between likable and morally upright. Our President is very likable....

Can someone who really lives out the teachings of Jesus be successful in a game like Survivor or the Great Race? Would that person enter in the first place?

Will, while you're novel is in gestation, you might consider publishing a book of liturgical verses. Your psalm and this littany are heartfelt and gracefully phrased.