Monday, November 14, 2005

A Hello In Any Other Language...

Good morning. Greetings. Happy Monday!

First of all, a message for Pastor Dave. Lila says hello. She only uses her computer to play, what else, solitaire - so she doesn't have the capability to send e-mail. I am sort of her conduit to the former youth group. She wants to tell you all that she misses you and wishes you to stop by some Sunday at Lakeside and say hello. We will be having our Second Annual Youth Reunion Sunday in May - so that might be a glorious time to stop by. More details to follow.

I saw a wonderful film last night as part of our new Film/Flicks/Faith program at Lakeside. The Spitfire Grill, if you haven't already seen it, is the story of a young woman who comes to an ailing town as a stranger and manages to transform the town through her acts of love. It was a deeply inspiring film and our group could have gone on talking about it for most of the night.

I've been trying to wrestle with the Psalms lately because everyone looks to the psalms for bits of inspiration and wisdom. I've had this sort of nagging feeling of wanting to write my own psalms, but I never know where to get started.

I've decided to write a Psalm of Welcoming - inspired by the film I saw last night - and I was wondering if you all would like to help me out. If you feel so inclined, please send me something that you'd like to say to a complete stranger that you feel inspired to say by God.

We're not looking for thee's and thou's here people. Just tell it like it is.

I look forward to reading them. Maybe by Friday I'll post New Psalm 1 - The Psalm of Welcoming.

6 comments:

Andy said...

I like the idea.

And in all seriousness, perhaps we could write music to the final product, too. A new worship and praise song!

Will Robison said...

Welcome to the Chuch Pews! Its not fun and games!

Hey, do you think Axl would mind if we borrowed his music?

Andy said...

Took me a second to realize the tune from "Welcome to the Jungle."

I was thinking more along the lines of "Soul Man"...

Will Robison said...

Coming to ya
On a dusty road
God loving
we got a van load

and when we get there
we've got something
so don't worry
cause we're coming

To The Work Camp!

Andy said...

You remembered!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi back at Lila. Will Lila be making a batch of the Elixir of Life for the reunion? I'll come for that!

I don't like talking to strangers which makes the greeting time at church especially uncomfortable. It's also kind of silly since you've usually already greeted the people around you when you sat down, and much of the time, strangers in the pews don't get very well greeted even during the greeting time. I like the idea of being welcoming as a principle, but I'm not very good at it in practice. So my contribution to your psalm is that being welcoming doesn't always come easily, but it's important to do.