Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Help me to help you!

Part two of my Welcoming Psalm blog...

Pastor Dave Lamb wrote some interesting things in his comments about welcoming people. I happen to agree with him about the difficulty in greeting strangers, even at church. I think my church, Lakeside, has a problem with this. Its not intentional, mind you, but its hard to greet people these days. We've become very insular as a society. That was one of the reasons I wanted this first New Psalm to be a Psalm of Welcoming.

So, thanks to Dave, here is what I've got so far...

Lord, those we greet today,
We do so in your Name.

And that's it... Any suggestions on where to go from here?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this. It actually addresses some important spiritual issues. It is codified in the Torah that we are to welcome the stranger, to treat the outsider with respect and kindness. And we have been welcomed into God's family, though we were strangers to God. This is partly what baptism is about - welcoming the new member of the family. Ephesians 2:13 - "You who once were far off are made near by the blod of Jesus."

Another personal observation: although I don't like to greet strangers, I have been profoundly grateful when I was the stranger (and feeling distinctly strange) and someone graciously accepted and greeted me. I have always admired those whith the talent or the compassion or empathy or just natural friendliness that makes them good at welcoming people. Hospitality is a great gift to the stranger.

Perhaps there will be more fodder for your psalm in there somewhere.

Andy said...

For those who are new to us,
Listened to Your call to come.

Will Robison said...

Listened to Your call to come, they have... sorry. I just read it as Yoda speaking to his Jedi trainees. ;)

I like the line though. Move your words around, I must.

Andy said...

Remove our trepidation, O Lord,
Allow us to extend our warmth.

Move our lips so that we may
Speak in Your good Name.

Will Robison said...

Here's what I was working on...

Tell me what you think...

When strangers come looking for you, O Lord,
We are your smile.

When they come to meet you,
we are your handshake.

When they come to embrace you,
We are your hug.

Or is that too touchy feely? How would John Denver say it? Dave?

Andy said...

You fill up my senses,
Like a night in the forest...

That's the John Denver approach.

I actually like what you've got so far.

Anonymous said...

Ah! John Denver: the prophet of my youth! He'd like your psalm. As do I. I like it a lot.

Andy said...

Call it:

New Psalm 1
A Psalm of William