Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Wall-E (2008) - 4 Wigs


As with most Pixar films I am bereft of words to describe the film or my reaction to it. Like most great Disney animation, Pixar films, in general, are so wonderful that you come to expect greatness. You would be shocked if they weren't great. For most of my grown up years there were only two certainties in film - James Bond would be back and Disney was making an instant classic. Both of those certainties have been tested since my youth, but Pixar has certainly taken up the slack from where Disney left off. And I'm happy, though not in anyway surprised, that Wall-E is an instant classic.

So, why the four wigs and not five? Not all classics are created equal? No, but like most Disney animated films, we all have our favorites. I prefer Sleeping Beauty to Cinderella and Peter Pan to Snow White. While I can easily put Wall-E in the realm of these classic animated films, part of the film left me cold (and its probably not the part you would imagine). There isn't anything wrong with the film and I was thoroughly entertained and I totally recommend the movie for all audiences who will enjoy it year after year after year, but I still think Finding Nemo was better. And that's just my opinion.

There are some incredible things I wish to point out for those of you who will see this movie, but I don't want to spoil anything for you. So I will only mention the one thought I had while watching the movie that took me only for a second out of the narrative - "Wow! That looks so real!"

Oh, and I want to commend the filmmakers for using live actors for a couple of sequences. Normally, I'd be against such a thing in an animated movie - but the choice of actors was so perfect and comical, that I'm certain no animated character could have had the same impact.

DEFINITELY GO SEE THIS FILM.

No comments: