Monday, July 07, 2008

Excitingly Busy

So what have I been up to lately? Would you believe I've been co-writing and co-producing a 45 minute film with a cast of 14 people and a crew of 5 people, so far?

This all came about a while back and I've mentioned it from time to time here. And I'll admit that sometimes things I write about here are... well, sometimes they're downright wishful thinking (like that whole finishing the novel thing ;) But this movie, like most movies, was always a go for launch in my mind pending the outcome of several things - like a finished script and a willing cast and crew and a budget and a place to film. One by one, the dominoes have fallen in place and now, I'm actually going to production.

Wow - that is honestly something I wasn't sure I'd ever get to say.

It started a week ago tonight. The final approval for use of my church's social hall was needed and I had to go before my church's governing body to explain my film and ask permission. Now, I admit to a lot of prayer before this meeting. On the one hand, I really wanted to make this movie for a variety of reasons but believe it or not, I'm not sure that any of the major reasons were selfish. I wanted to make the movie so that the youth in two different film programs would have the opportunity to make a film they could call their own. And so that they'd have some time to spend together in community pursuing a common endeavor. But I also was praying for my church, because I wanted them to have the opportunity to host this event and to get back out in the community where the church resides. I felt that this was what God wanted as well and so, I went to this meeting with a hopeful spirit and presented my case. And do you know what happened? Well, obviously they approved the filming. But beyond that, they approved it for exactly the reasons I had hoped they would. They had come to the same Christ-centered conclusion as I had.

Suddenly, I had a complete movie in my lap and countless numbers of people counting on me to get this done. It wasn't that I hadn't prepared for this, but to have it suddenly happen when I had failed to take that step so many times before, the feeling was a bit overwhelming. I immediately set about working on the Producing of the film.

We contacted cast and crew and I started breaking down the script and scheduling the shoot and pricing the equipment and raising the funds and... it's been overwhelming and I've still got three weeks of preproduction left.

So, that's what I've been up to. My co-writer and I sat down and cranked out the final draft of the script on Saturday and we now have one funny script. He and I were also on the same wavelength when he turned to me and said, "Do you think we could film ourselves as we write for a Making Of film?" I had been thinking the same thing for months, but I didn't want to intrude on the writing process. So, we cracked out the camera and tripod and started filming and then went right back to writing and within seconds forgot the camera was there. I watched about two and a half minutes of the thirty minutes of film and I found it to be fascinating (and extremely funny - in the way that a church wouldn't appreciate ;) .

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. Its that pre-traumatic stress disorder that's going around. I'd better go and get back to work.

And yes, if you live in the area (and you know who you are ;) and you want to be in my film, the answer is yes. Just contact me. No experience necessary. Se Habla Espanol. We accept green stamps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool.

Can't wait for the finished product.

Cheers.