Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Irony and The Idiocy

It just occurred to me how incredibly humorous the Bible can be. I mean, think about it, every single group of combatants in the history of mankind since Og the Caveman to McCain the Republican have exclaimed in Righteous Assurance, "WE CANNOT LOSE because God is on our side!" Its one of those sure thing cliches. I'm sure Napolean thought it. I'm sure Rommel thought it. I'm sure Lee thought it. I'm sure the Patriots thought it. And yet... here's the entire country of Israel sitting in the Desert of Paran because God has delivered them from the mightiest empire in the world, fed them and guided them across the Sinai penninsula, brought fire down on their camp, killed priests in an instant, and inscribed His covenant on stone tablets, and the second they get a report from their scouts that the promised land is waiting for them and that, according to Caleb and Joshua, THEY CANNOT LOSE because God is on their side, and HE REALLY IS, they decide to forget the whole thing and give up before they even start.

Ya know... I'm not sure 40 years in the Desert was long enough for what has to be the greatest boneheaded decision in all of human history.

Now I don't feel quite so bad about some of my own stupid choices.

No comments: