Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Spring Vanquishes Negative Nellies

(That actually sounds like a headline from the old Sims Times in Sim City ;)

Well, I can't stay down for long and the image that's keeping me from succumbing fully to the blues is the thought of my niece wandering around everywhere with a cute little pink backpack that has butterfly wings on the back - a gift from her Uncle Will. Apparently, she doesn't want to be parted from it and so my sense of timing is vindicated, as it was a Christmas present that I just now gave to her (the kids had just returned from a Disneyland Christmas and were a little overwhelmed with all of their gifts and new things - I decided to "save" my gifts for a little later so that they could more properly enjoy them.)

But there are other wonderful thoughts to embrace. Andy, over at The Beach, is about to tackle the next higher level of organized baseball as he leaves T-Ball behind and begins coaching PitchingMachine-Ball (whatever its called). Andy has been a truly wonderful servant of God and the kids love the game so much when he's around to show them how to run, catch, throw, bat. It reminds me that Baseball is life and God is love and God loves Baseball life!

Ariel, over at Bittersweet, aside from tackling the wonderful challenge of Tot #2, is beside himself as Kansas continues to be the BMOC of Big 12 Basketball (not counting last night's game, of course). Despite the occassional fun I like to poke at Kansas basketball, I do hope that this year they finally win the big enchillada so that I don't have to read more CoffeeNTears posts as I'm trying to enjoy the Final Four. So let's all root for Kansas this year.

Randall's O.D., over at Hinterland, was paid a great compliment by her fellow male students who voluntarily suggested that she was a much better student than they and refused to go along with a patriarchal photo that suggested otherwise (even though it might have helped them score with some "less smart" young ladies ;) And the thought of that almost Hallmark Card moment makes me smile as well. The Hermione's of this world ROCK!

You know, if we ignore the news going on around us and the horrible bits of everyday life that seem to always be crying out for our attention, its easy to picture that bright green far off land that is our true resting place, our portion of peace. I want to go there and fling off my shoes and feel the grass between my toes. I want to run there and fly a kite there and play hidengoseek there. I want you there with me - no adults, no rules, no hurt feelings or anger - just smiles and laughter and pure joy.

Those are the feelings of Spring. Those are the things to be mindful of.

No comments: