Wednesday, February 22, 2006

New Psalm 2 - The Psalm of The Path

The path to you is trouble, O Lord.

From our first step to our last,
we travel a troubled path.
Between heartache and glory,
between elation and grief,
between darkness and sunrise,
between sunset and fear;
Lord, you are our path.

We walk the narrow;
We walk the rocky;
We walk the windy;
We walk the corrupt;
We thread the eye of the needle, Lord.

But in you, there are no pebbles.
In you, there are no thorns.
In you, we find no darkness.
In you, we consume no dust.
In you, Lord, there is only oasis after oasis.

Guide my path, Lord.
Show me the narrow way.
Lead me through trouble.
Guide me in darkness.
Bring me to the land of promise.
For you are my Lord and my guide.

All roads lead to you, O Lord.
But only one brings me home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of theology packed into the last two lines. I like the creative tension between "all roads lead to you" and "only one brings me home." How can both be true at the same time? Yet, I can agree with both statements.

Thanks for another great psalm, Will.

Andy said...

Brilliant my friend.

The fact is there is only one truth and that one truth is what saves us.

Will Robison said...

Dave - I actually like those last two lines. I really dig them. There are times when you can take credit for writing something, but this really isn't one of them. I just sort of went on auto-pilot and let the words tumble out. But when I read those two lines, I just felt really good. They are contradictory, and yet not. Sort of like Einstein's theory that at infinity all parallel lines meet. It seems unfathomable, and yet, so is infinity. In God there is no impossibility, there is no contradiction.

Sue said...

Will,

I know what you mean by automatic pilot. That is how I do most of my writing on this blog.

I would also love to comment on this line:

"All roads lead to you, O Lord.
But only one brings me home"

On first glance, it does appear contradictory but then I thought about how both you and Andy took completely different paths to come to the Lord but there you are!
Even though you took different paths to get there, Jesus Christ is still the only way, the only "road" to return to the Father (home).

Will Robison said...

Sue - I think the way I see it is that there are many roads, many ways in life, but only one of them leads to God. And yet, eventually, they all lead there. We are all going to end up before God at some point. But only one path will be the right one that will make us a home in God's presence.