Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Choosing

Who wrote the Bible? Many people believe it was God. Or Moses. Or various religious leaders of their day. The scholars have all sorts of evidence about who wrote one chapter or another and about what schools of scholars edited the thing. But for my money, I've long suspected that there was a conspiracy going on and that we'd discover that it was some old partriarch, some long lost Shakespearian character, who wrote the Bible to make up some new religion that we could all believe in.

The precedent is certainly there. Most Christians believe that that is exactly what Mohammed did - I only say this to make a point, not to belittle the beliefs of Islam. We also are almost certain that Dianetics is fake and that the Mormon Bible is just a bunch of hooey. So, why not the Bible?

Examining the Bible from a story teller standpoint, it definitely is like no other story ever told. Its a series of short stories that teach us things, but that also show its heroes in pretty bad light. Come on, if we were writing the story, Moses would not only get into the promised land, he'd have conquered the Egyptians and gotten the girl as well. We can't help but want endings to have a certain justice to them, and yet, really, there is no justice in the Bible. David gets to be king by slaying Goliath - but only after he's hunted for years and years by Saul. And then, he screws it all up by going after his neighbor's wife. And though his children inherit the kingdom and a powerful nation, they squander it all away with some really poor judgement. So what's David's ultimate reward? The Son of God is born into his family line, comes with great glory and hope for mankind, and then is nailed up on a cross. Wow. Bummer ending. Did anyone even test market this? How the heck are you going to write a sequel?

And yet, how oddly compelling this story is. How strangely wonderful to read a story where the good guys finish last and yet remain good guys. How vibrant, how rich, how truthful even though the events of this novel took place thousands of years ago. Surely, only a master craftsman could have written such a story.

The sneaking suspicions didn't really go away until after I'd written my novel, and... contemplated my second novel. You see, up until the very end of the writing, I had been convinced that one day I'd sat down and decided to write a novel and that I knew immediately that I would write the novel that I wrote. In Biblical terms, I was that master craftsman, sitting in the desert with some honey and locusts, parchment and paper, deciding to write a book of books that I called the Bible. In my version of the story, I was going to write the great American novel. But as I finished this wonderful book and decided to quickly spit out another great novel so that I'd have a pair, something interesting happened. My version of the beginning of this story changed.

I remembered, instead, that I sat for months trying to think up a story to write. A writer works with ideas. We come up with them every day. Some are better than others. Some even seem good and compelling and potentially sales worthy. In the months after I decided to write a novel, I must have contemplated hundreds of story ideas. I must have fleshed out thousands of plots and characters. But all to no avail. And then, one day, out of the blue, I suddenly realized that my first novel would be The Thin Line. I didn't have to think about it anymore. I just started working. In my new version of the story, I didn't choose The Thin Line, it chose me.

I have never questioned my decision. I have never doubted that this was the story to write. And, as a result, as I come to the conclusion, I know that this was meant to be - as if I was just the conduit for words that were already there waiting to get out to the people.

I'm not about to suggest that there is anything remotely holy about my novel. It has very few redeeming qualities if you ask me. But through this experience I have come to understand something about the writing process. Writers don't choose their books, their books choose them. Philip K. Dick, in his very last interview before his death, said, "Its like the commercial says - I'll write no story before its time." The story has a time and a place. Therefore, who ever wrote the Bible, or parts of the Bible, or edited the Bible, or translated the Bible, was likely chosen by the Bible for that very purpose.

So, who wrote the Bible? I'll leave you to decide that for yourself. But as for me, I think I know who the ultimate author is. And I thank Him every day for His gift to me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

(Watching for lightening while I type this)

Will - Don't you know I invented the Bible? ;) (And the Orphanage, mind you...)

Andy said...

I'm paraphrasing the Scripture, but it's the passage that states that all Scripture is God-breathed and inspired for teaching and rebuking.

It's pretty obvious who led those men to write it, who inspired them to put the words down on those ancient scrolls in Hebrew and Greek, in the similar way that the Holy Spirit guides me when I write a sermon message (not that I'm comparing my sermon messages to Scripture). But I understand how God can plant the idea in my mind, in my heart, and help me write something meaningful, something that God wants me to share with others.

It's pretty darn cool to know God's the author of it all. And men are just the vessels

Sue said...

Hi Will,

Interesting perspective about the story choosing you rather than the other way around. I can see what you mean. Creative people are forced to create. It is almost as if they have no choice about it.
When people tell me I'm creative, I wonder why. Doesn't everyone wake up in the middle of the night with an idea for a painting, or a sculpture or a story or a craft project that they have to complete. Like an obsession, I have to finish my creation to the point of being annoying to obnoxious. Creative people can often be a little crazy.
I found out that most people are not creative. Most people do not have original ideas. And most people are much better at dealing with reality than I. God gave you a gift that can also be a burden. But isn't it wonderful?

Captain Proton said...

So what are all of you mindful people doing for Lent? It snuck up on me, and except for voluntarily not eating red meat on Friday, I don't have a clue what I will do.

Anonymous said...

I might have problems with religious concepts but I never questioned who wrote the Bible. After my own soul search, ifound that there could only be one author...God. How he chose to tell his story is completely beside the point. I was once asked to describe how I understood the bible. My answer was "Gods stepping stones"a map for anyone who wants to know about life, what it can be, what it isn't and possibily what it could be. I answered that question some 30 years ago and I have found that answer has suited me well. You are young people who are quickly becoming the ruling generation, what does the bible say to you? That is my challenge to all of you who blog this page....