Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Importance of Being Me

I've come to the conclusion that dating sites don't work. Its not that I've given up on dating, just on the kinds of people that use dating sites. My working theory is that they are the same types that play the lottery - doing the least amount possible to win the life of their dreams. Hey, since I was on the site, I guess you can say that included me as well.

But it finally occurred to me that I've got more chance of finding the woman of my dreams by actually looking than by randomly floating my name and picture out there on the off chance that my perfect match is also looking and manages to spot me in the sea of a billion faces. In fact, I've got a better chance of finding my dream match by taking a picture of myself, writing my phone number on it, putting it into a bottle and throwing it in the ocean. At least that way I stand out from the billion faces as someone daring to take a chance on pure dumb luck.

I think the big thing I need to work on this year is to stop being a doormat to everyone. I do have an opinion and it does matter. I do have feelings and they matter as well. I guess this really came to a head for me on my Kenya trip. On the one hand, I was fine with being that piece of flotsam that fate pushed around. On the other hand, it annoyed me that I was the only piece of flotsam and everyone else was determining their fate. Cosmic cookies didn't crumble for anyone - so clearly upsetting the apple cart does not automatically tempt fate.

Its funny to me because I wasn't so wishy-washy when I supposedly knew better. When I was young, dumb, and selfish, I had no problem doing things my way. And I now look back on it and wonder if I wasn't better off then. Maybe dumb and selfish is the only way forward sometimes? It certainly worked for our last President. ;)

No comments: