Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Year We Make Contact

Russia and the US are about to destroy each other with nuclear weapons. A member of the crew has died. The mysterious monolith continues to taunt them from the orbit of Jupiter. The crew of the Discovery is still dead. And now, they have to take a slow trip back to Earth with the previously homicidal HAL-9000 in charge of the ship and their life support functions. Things couldn't look bleaker.

And then a message... "Something's going to happen." "What? What's going to happen?" "Something WONDERFUL!"

This scene from "2010" is probably one of my favorite moments from all Sci-Fi movies because it speaks of seemingly incomprehensible hope in the face of impenetrable darkness.

I said it last year and I'll say it again. Economic recession, wars, personal disasters, and all the incredible bad news that seems to be piling up around us; and I can't help but sharing this message that I keep receiving...

"Something's going to happen. Something WONDERFUL!"

I know I must be crazy. I know that I can't see a few months in front of me because of the darkness crowding around my own life. But I still can't shake the feeling, the almost certainty, that great things are just around the corner.

Keep the faith! Keep the hope! And be assured of wonderful times ahead!

2 comments:

Andy said...

I think there are going to be at least 153 great things that happen in 2010!

Will Robison said...

At least!