Thursday, April 30, 2009

I'm Not LOST At All!

My mind is just getting battered this week and I wanted to share some quick thoughts with you on the things that are beating me senseless.

First - LOST - I'm really enjoying the heck out of this show. This season especially has played right into my wheelhouse of pleasure - time travel. Before I became an uber-blogger, and before I attempted to write my first novel, I spent three years writing short stories around one theme - time travel. In that time I probably spent the equivalent of months bashing through every possible time travel theory you could invent. So when I see a complex and compelling time travel story, I just get all gooey inside. Its like having all the fun of writing a really complex time travel series without any of the work or headaches. Much more enjoyable to let someone else try and figure out all that continuity and keep it straight. So for me, LOST is awesome. My Dad, on the other hand, is completely... well, LOST. And I don't blame him cause I'm guessing that the average person might find some of the show hard to follow. Not me, though, I've already been there and done that.

Second - Novel #2 - which I'm really enjoying the heck out of writing because... yep, you guessed it, its all about time travel! It's a complex and compelling time travel story with tons of continuity to keep straight. But for those of you who might assume that I'm being somehow inspired by LOST, I've been trying to write this story for years. But last summer I finally found the piece of the puzzle that I'd been missing and its all finally falling into place. I just finished the final reveal chapter last night, so the only thing left is to wrap up the synopsis and begin the actual writing. I can't wait!

Third - God - Aside from the Kenya trip which weighs on my mind constantly, I have been having a hard time associating with God lately and I finally figured out that my intellectual stumbling block is based on a Character trait that I can't wrap my brain around. In many depictions of Jesus that are not Biblical in nature, we see Jesus as a caring, loving, guy - a leader of men who also happens to be the son of God. So, in my mind, I'm picturing the sort of guy we all like to hang around - only better. Take your best friend, scrub out all the swear words, drinking, and carousing, and add a touch of humility, kindness, and compelling leadership, and that's basically the Jesus I depict. That Jesus is easy to see walking around the Holy Land with a group of 12 guys doing their thing, joking around, bonding, etc... But then, there's the other Jesus - the one who is the son of God, the Most High, the revered and worshiped and praised! The Jesus that bends every knee and collects every hallelujah! Its not that I can't picture Him... I can. Easily. Its that I can't reconcile the two together. I can't picture a guy swapping jokes with his friends one second and being the object of total submission and praise the next. Anyway, this is something I need to work through, but this stumbling block has been on my mind a great deal lately and its something I'm trying to reconcile... whenever I'm not traveling backwards or forwards or sideways in time, that is.

No comments: