Monday, December 29, 2008

No Reason For Confidence

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."
Hebrews Chapter 11 verse 1

As I was duly reminded this morning, I am one step away from financial disaster. My job is on shaky ground and I really don't have any sort of back up plan. I don't have thousands of dollars in a bank account. I have never been successful enough to even consider any sort of "life" insurance. I have no equity of any sort in any thing. If the worst case scenario should strike, I would be left with nothing but my wits.

And yet, I have a great hope for 2009 that I can't explain. At a time when I should be at my most pessimistic, I can't help but being optimistic.

I can watch the news and be scared. I can read the headlines and tremble. I can hear stories all around me of people being laid off and losing their homes and savings and I can feel the palpable fear that surrounds me - but I am not afraid.

I have faith that even if all these things come to pass and I spend a good portion of 2009 homeless or jobless or running from creditors and bankrupt that God will use me to the best of my ability. I have the great hope that for the first time in my life I Shall Fear No Evil For Thou Art With Me!

Oh, my life may take a Job-esque turn for the horrible next year, but if it does, I know that God will be with me. I can't explain this feeling to those that do not have it. But if I had to define it, I know that the definition would be Faith. Not faith that I shall remain untouched and safe and prosper, but faith that even in the darkest hours of my life, I shall know the love and glory of Jesus Christ. Its kind of hard to be pessimistic after that.

So Thank God and prepare for disaster. 2009 is going to be one bumpy year!

No comments: