Wednesday, December 31, 2008

At the threshold of wisdom - the 600th Post

Funny that - my 600th post on New Year's Eve. A milestone for a milestone.

I learned a great deal this year. I gave up on my novel and learned to use the disappointment as a motivation. I produced a movie and learned that doing God's will doesn't always have to be boring. I edited a movie and learned that I still have a lot to learn about movie making ;) I watched an entire election unfold and learned that the American people can get sidetracked from time to time but still know what's ultimately important. But these are all things that are peripheral to my experience of this year - lessons learned, not lessons earned.

The most important thing that I discovered this year is that intimacy is not sex and that true happiness comes from the sharing of life together with others. Throughout my entire journey this year, the highest moments have all come from times spent with other people whether traveling together or sitting on a shoreline fishing or taking pictures or making a film or working. Moments spent alone (though necessary for reflection) were moments when I could not grow. It was in those quiet moments spent with others talking about their lives or their families or their thoughts that I made true connections with others - that I mattered.

I seek next year to continue this quest for wisdom by seeking out others and learning to share with them the moments that make up a life - moments of laughter and moments of anger and moments of sorrow and moments of joy. We are all the children of God and just like our biological siblings, we can't chose not to be related. Its only through shared moments that we will ever learn to reach that point of common understanding where your burdens become my burdens and your blessings become my blessings. I seek to bridge those gaps and truly understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Will. While we need those quiet moments, it is through community that the swords are sharpened...

Happy New Year!

Will Robison said...

Thanks for being there with me on the journey, man. And here's to 600 more!