Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Looking Ahead to 2009

The funny thing about the end of this year has been how much 2009 has begun to gel in reality and not just in my mind. Usually I get to this point of the year and I start making plans for next year and... well, that's all they are - plans. I can plan anything I want and whether it comes true or not has always been as a result of luck and sure determination. But this year, my determination is getting to relax a little. I don't have to make things happen by sheer force of will and I guess that's put me in a good and hopeful mood for the new year.

So, for starters, I'm not going to take classes next semester. I've decided to give college a rest for at least a semester (though my opinion might still change before classes begin). I've learned all the stuff I set out to learn two years ago. Anything more, at this point, would be gravy.

I will continue with the stat keeping for USF as it appears that my Dad and Uncle will probably call it a career after this season. They've been keeping stats at USF since the late 60's/early 70's. I've been helping out for about the last four years. But they're both ready to retire from this job and let the torch pass to a new group of stats people.

I will most likely return to Idaho for some fishing during Spring Break. We'll see how my finances hold up. This is the one time of year I get to spend with my "other" family and my other town.

In January, I'll be traveling to Slidell, Mississippi as part of the Presbyterian efforts to rebuild that region after Hurricane Katrina nearly three years ago. I'll be there a week showing my love for Jesus and my complete lack of carpentry skills ;) Prayers are always willingly accepted.

Sometime early next year there will also be a Movie Premiere of 12 Step Jedi. This film is currently finishing up the sound work and the composing and recording of the sound track. We are hoping to have two premieres - one for the cast and crew (so we can get all the nasty comments and ribbing out of the way;) and one for everyone else and friends and family. I will let you all know when the premieres will be scheduled.

After the premiere, work will begin in earnest on "Dane" - our follow up film. Andrew and I have been huddled together now for hours since finals ended feverishly throwing out ideas for this film and the truly wonderful part is that we have been on the same page in almost every single detail. The short description of this film is that it is Hamlet meets Film Noir - which describes more the feel and the look of the film than the actual plot. Either way, we begin script work the moment 12 Step wraps.

We are also trying to form a film collective to aid us in the pre-production and production of Dane. Combining actors, directors, producers, filmmakers, and other artists, we will have a group of people interested in the mutual development of film and other projects. So far we have had preliminary discussions amongst potential participants and the general consensus is positive, but there's still a lot of work to do before a collective is formed.

I have other ideas, of the normal year end variety, but I'm thinking that I already have a lot on my plate for next year. Some of these other ideas might see the light of day in 2009, and some not, but I'm definitely not going to be sitting around next year. And, for a change, I don't have to do all the work. And that's an extremely good thing.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: