Thursday, December 06, 2007

A Good and Faithful Servant Returns Home

I just found out from my sister today that my Aunt Jane passed away recently. Apparently there were some communications issues and we just found out about it yesterday - after the funeral. And that's all right with me.

My Aunt Jane was just about the most religious person I know. She was the kind of woman who used to let us kids read those Catholic comic books that depicted the Bible stories in graphic detail and where a priest would fight off demons to protect unborn fetuses from being aborted. But there wasn't a hint of hypocrisy in her body. She was a real believer and a real wonderful woman, and one of the kindest relatives I can remember ever having.

She owned a big old house in Oakland and we used to go over and visit her when we were younger. Then my Mom got sick and we would visit less and less often. But when my Mom was better, she actually went and lived with my Aunt and had a small number of rooms to herself on the lower floors, and we kids were able to spend Christmas with our Mom. I always loved that house. It seemed to take on the character of my aunt - prim, proper, and kind. I can't explain it.

I last saw my aunt about ten years ago. She was in her 80's then and still going on strong, but she was going to sell the house and move into an assisted living center. I guess I didn't know that it would be the last time I saw her, but I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. I gave her a hug and thanked her as I left and she smiled and thanked me for coming and I felt like she meant it.

She was 93. And now she has finally returned home to be with the Lord who loves her. I will miss her, but I'm pretty sure she's where she always wanted to be in the first place.

Please send out a prayer for my Aunt and for her loved ones who might still be grieving.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Wow dude. All these years and here's something new about you that I didn't know.

My prayers go out to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for your family.