Monday, December 03, 2007

Getting Old Isn't All Bad

Item: I had an early senior moment on Sunday. I was reading one of the hymns in church and my mind did one of those old people things and I suddenly had to chuckle because instead of praising the truine God, I was praising the Itune God ;)

Item: I had an extremely unproductive weekend. In terms of school disasters, it ranked right up there with the time that my two part 64 page epic short story got erased before I could print it out for school and I had to start over from scratch with a week left before it was due (as I recall it came out better, but we won't go there). I was trying to finish my film this weekend with three actors. One of the three actors kept telling me that he'd be there, but when I was ready with everyone else and the equipment he bailed on me - not once, but twice! In both cases I had to apologize to the other actors and send them on their way, but in the meantime, I wasted my entire weekend getting nothing done. To say that I was mad was an understatement. But one of the nice things about getting older is that I find it easier to have my anger assuaged. After my team finished first in The Amazing Race, I suddenly realized that I was no longer mad. I don't think I've ever felt so angry about something and then came to a true sense of peace about it in so short a period of time in my life. But God knew that I needed to get to that place, so He simply took away my anger. That's the best description I can give for it. There were more important matters on God's agenda than me being mad. And so, all is forgiven and forgotten. And now comes the question of how to put this bloody film mess back together again in so short a time.

Item: I had the distinct pleasure of watching my Dad and my Uncle (both old enough to know better) get in trouble this weekend. It wasn't one of those serious kinds of trouble, more of a scolding, but it was like one of those deja vu moments from my childhood only in reverse. Very character revealing.

Item: My brother hit a major rough patch in his life when he turned 40 this year. He's fast approaching his 41st birthday and I'd like to say that his life has never been better. My brother can be a real jerk sometimes, but when he isn't, he's one of the coolest guys I know. I mention this mostly because 40 is still two years away for me, and I'd like to think that I'll approach it with grace and dignity. But I'm worried that I'll freak out and succumb to some sort of mid-life crisis like others have. As a writer who lives in his head a little too much, the possibility definitely exists. I hope you'll all be around to straighten me out if I should get a little bent.

Item: It's easier to keep secrets as you get older. As these are the holidays, that's all I'm going to say for now.

Have a good week and remember that it is both fitting and wonderful to follow the Itune God. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found I was too busy for any weirdness when I turned forty. Come to think of it, it wasn't much different than thirty.

Cheers.