Monday, August 14, 2006

Rejected!

Believe it or not, this is a happy posting! I have been utterly rejected! And I am smiling about it!

The process from here on out is fairly simple. Novel done. Check. Send off query letters to agents begging them to read my sample chapters and take me as a client. Get Agent. Get Agent to Get Publisher. Final Edit of Novel. Final Check of Galley's. Cash Paycheck. Go on book tour. Or something along those lines. Danny can correct me if I'm way wrong as he's much further along in the process than I am. I'm still on step two.

But, you see, I have not only sent out my first query letter (actually an e-mail - some Agents are actually tech saavy), but I have received my first response. Rejection! Denied! Fuhgeddaboutit! The prevailing theory is about 12 rejections to every acceptance. And as far as rejections go, this one was fairly mild - which makes me slightly worried, actually. BUUUTTTTT, it was a rejection! One down! Eleven to go! At Apostle Peter's rate, that's like only four nights worth of denials! (Obscure Biblical reference ;)

I'd say there was some sort of Biblical religious connection here, but I'm not sure what it might be. Still, you can't be rejected if you're not trying! And considering the number of times men have rejected God, I guess we know that God hasn't given up on us yet.

So, peace and grace to you all! I'm going forth to be rejected some more!

3 comments:

Andy said...

Congratulations on the first rejection! 11 more to go...then perhaps an acceptance!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you got to the point where you have a book to reject.

Anonymous said...

Rejection worketh drive and drive breeds opportunity

That's an original. I just made it up and i know it's crappy.

Anyway, hang in there bro! It'll happen and one day we will all be saying, "Will! I knew him when he was just getting started!"