Monday, October 03, 2005

The Funeral of Me

This sounds like a morbid topic - yet another in a series of downer issues for my blog, but I promise you it's not.

A well loved saint of the church and a woman I was priviledged to call my friend passed away a couple of weeks ago. Her name was Ginger and she finally succumbed to a cancer that had been plaguing her as long as I knew her. She is in a much better place now and is truly one of God's special angels.

About November of last year, we were listening to our youth choir sing an Irish benediction tune that was hauntingly beautiful and she turned to me and said, "I want them to sing that at my funeral." As she had cancer, I knew she was being at least partially serious and when I tried to tell her that she was being way too premature, she smiled at me as if I was but a child and said, "I've actually planned the entire service." In the end, she was right, and her funeral was absolutely gorgeous and really touching.

It seems morbid to plan our funeral because its an acknowledgement that we're going to die. And even though we know we're all going to die, to actually plan your funeral long before those last few hours on your death bed seems almost to be asking for it. Nevertheless, I think it an important thing to do and ever since her funeral, I've been wondering what my own funeral should be like, MANY, MANY, MANY YEARS FROM NOW. What I've discovered is that I want people to celebrate my death, the same way I've always wanted people to celebrate their life.

First of all, I want to be cremated and my ashes spread on some dusty trail in the middle of trees and forest or on top of a mountain with a gorgeous view. If I'm going back to nature, at least let me go back to some place nice.

Second of all, for my memorial service, I want my short story, "Blink" read. Its still my favorite story - and I think it sums up life perfectly.

Third of all, lots of music. I'm not particular enough to consider what I want right now. But I'm partial to a little Pink Floyd as pre-festivities music (to get people nice and mellow). I'd like two anthems performed by choirs - Lacrymosa from Mozart's Requiem (and tell those Basses to sing out!) and Where The Streets Have No Name from U2, done gospel style as they did on Rattle and Hum. As a benediction response, Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin - but I'm not entirely sold on that one.

There should be a Dixieland band to perform after the service and good bold Christian readings and hymns during the service (I'm particularly fond of anything from Ecclesiastes). And, depending on how American I'm perceived at the time of my death, a Navy Blue Angels fly-over at the end of the service would be tres cool, followed by fireworks. Clowns and face painting for the kids and grandkids. And everyone should get something cool as a gift for coming - a bubble wand or a balloon or something.

A national holiday also wouldn't be a bad way to honor my life, but I really don't need a statue or a postage stamp, and absolutely no grave marker. Honor me as I lived, not as I died.

See, its easy. Once you get past your hang ups about actually thinking about your funeral, you'll find it rather enjoyable to talk about your plans.

Anyway, Mr. Morbid, signing off... ;)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You either plan on becomming Republican or winning the lottery - but its nice to know you've thought about it. Especially since I killed you off with leukemia all those years ago.

Andy said...

Ah, I might have to steal this topic idea. I completely concur...in death we should celebrate life, and as Christians, the funeral should be celebration of the individual escaping the trappings of our physical life for the truly free life we have in Christ.

The sadness comes because it is those of us who are left behind who will miss the physical presence of the individual who has left us. But we can rejoice, as we WILL be reunited with those whom we've lost.

I would like to think that as we depart this world, we will actually be already reunited with our loved ones, even those "left behind" physically here, as eternal life is timeless.

We can't understand it, as we humans fear the unknown, but we can take refuge that if we Believe, the unknown will be Known to us.

Will Robison said...

Did I mention holding the service before the start of the Giants season opener at SBC Park?

Andy said...

As long as I get to do one of the eulogies that day. We'll start with the number of times I beat you at backgammon on the first and second legs of the trip to Alamosa, from SF to Green River, Utah...

...of course, you'll have Heather or Dave gently remind me of the time at the Grand Canyon, too...

Unknown said...

Of course, Andy, Will wouldn't want us to let the funeral go on, in SBC park, without mentioning that he has seen many more winning games than either you or I. LOL!!!

Andy said...

Actually, since he won't be there, what's to stop us from telling OUR version of the truth?

Unknown said...

Well, in that case, remember the time I sang with U2?

Andy said...

And there was the time when Will tried out for the Giants at SS, only to be cut on the last day of Spring Training, replaced by Stanley...

Unknown said...

LOL!! Yes, I remember that! Didn't Stanley also steal the space shuttle - or was that Chris?

Andy said...

Yeah, Chris and Stanley stole the Space Shuttle, while Lila led the others on a separate trip on the Shuttle Lakeside...

This is becoming way too weird...gee, thanks, Will.