Monday, October 10, 2005

A New Day

My brain works like the old big univac computers. Plug in some random information and three weeks later a solution comes out. What's funny, always after the fact, is that while my brain is working on this massive problem the rest of me kind of gets squirrely. I start getting really weird ideas that sound so good to me that I actually begin working on them. Somewhere in the back part of the warehouse of my brain are thousands of really bad ideas for stories, songs, poems, businesses, buildings, toys, games, and all sorts of other things. If you have known me for quite some time, you can probably remember some of these crazy ideas. I never really know which of these ideas is sane, at the time, because I think they're all wonderful. And telling me that they're not only makes me more adamant that they are wonderful. And then, like a Holly Hobby Easy Bake Oven, my big old univac mind goes DING! and a new idea pops into my head and voila... I suddenly realize that all these ideas I've had for the past three weeks or so are really BAD IDEAS.

So, this weekend, on Saturday, in the midst of preparations for the 11th Annual Burrito Night, my mind went DING! I'd come to the conclusion that I'd been computing all summer long. The cool thing about these conclusions is that you can see it and immediately know that its right, that its not only right but its the only logical conclusion. Other famous past DINGS for me have included joining the Navy (Not really sure what the hell my brain was thinking on that one, but it was definitely a Ding), going to school in Idaho, moving to Vegas, and writing my Novel. I've sort of come to the conclusion that without the Dings in my life, I probably wouldn't have ever gone anywhere.

I sometimes picture these guardian angels in my life, swirling around me. There's probably like an entire crew of them working just on me because I'm so dense sometimes. They can't directly interfere with me, but if they want me to do stuff, they can sure give me lots of hints. For the past three months they've been working overtime. And I've known it. I could feel it. I've been walking through life looking around and saying to myself, "I know there's a clue here, a big heavenly hint, but I haven't a clue what it is." And the angels groan, slap their hands to their foreheads, and try to figure out what to do next to make me see the obvious. These guardian angels are my big DING. I may not see what the path is, but I know I'm being guided to something.

And that's what this big DING was. It was the realization that I'd grown stagnant. That even though I was constantly working on projects, I was not moving forward, not progressing. I was moving sideways in many different ways. Its time to go on. Its time to move on.

Now all I have to do is figure out where I'm going. I can picture the guardian angels already slapping their foreheads and screaming, "DOH!" What can I say, I'm dense! Anybody want to help me with my Broadway musical?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"ding" Why am I so dense "Ding" What's wrong with me-e-e? Oh why, can't I make an idea fly? Or sell a novel or three? I'll tell you "Ding" It's just me....

Those are the lyrics to your new broadway song... LOL!!

That "ding" you hear is the microwave telling you that your brownies are done. Mmmm... moist, hot, brownies...

Oh schnikes - where was I?

Andy said...

I understand the feeling. You realize that you have or are fulfilling one purpose in life and then...DING...you feel it in your soul, that there is something to be done, something new, but you can't put your finger on it.

You then realize what it is, you do it, and then...hmmm...was that all I was meant to do? Is there more?

All I ask is that you don't do a Broadway adaptation of Dr. Atomic.