Friday, October 28, 2005

First Friday Ramblings...

I was awoken this morning by a truly stunning bit of news... Sulu is gay. My mind boggles. Sulu... Gay. It seems inconceivable after all this time. No wonder they never showed his cabin on the ship, it was probably filled with track lighting and tastefully decorated. But then something hit me out of left field... Sulu had a daughter! How the heck?! And, of course, I realized that in the 23rd Century there is no stereotyping, there is no prejudice, this whole straight/gay thing is probably a relic of the past. I mean, if Kirk can have sex with every alien species to ever walk, slither, beam or fly at warp speed, what difference does it make if Sulu and Spock want to fly off together for a romantic weekend with sword play? Surely, Sulu adopted. Of course, it totally gives new relevance to the line from Star Trek VII where Kirk is astounded to learn that Sulu had a daughter, "Where did he find the time to have a family?" Well, now we know.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek,

Will

5 comments:

Andy said...

Y'know, I should have expected this post from you today...but alas, my skill at foresight has failed once again.

By the way, it was Star Trek VI where the line was...oops. Now I've come out the closet for being...a geek.

I don't think Sulu adopted. Had to be artificial insemination with a donor egg and a surrogate mother.

Unknown said...

Do you think Sulu is the one who designed the outfits?

Andy said...

Only the pajamas they wore in ST The Motion Picture.

A gay guy wouldn't design those miniskirts in TOS - clearly only a heterosexual male would do that.

Will Robison said...

To be deferential to the man who actually owns the films on DVD, I will accept what you say for now, but I wish to plead my case...

As I remember it, Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country has Sulu as Captain of the Excelsior. But Star Trek VII - Generations, starts with Kirk, McCoy and Scotty on the bridge of the Enterprise B where Sulu's daughter is at the helm and McCoy says something about it seeming natural to have a Sulu at the helm of the Enterprise. At which point, Kirk replies, "When did Sulu find time to have a family?" It was also an important set up when Kirk was trapped in the time ribbon because the ribbon gave him the life he'd always wanted (although I noted that he still didn't have a family ;)

Hey, if I'm coming out of the geek closet, I'm going to be fabulous, baby!

Andy said...

You win. You're absolutely right, Ensign Sulu was on the B in Generations.

I'm thinking there must be a 23rd Century version of Queer Eye for the Vulcan Guy. ;-)