Monday, March 10, 2008

Geek Wars UPSET Update

Over the weekend, there were two major upsets in the Geek Wars Film Tournament.

#9 Time Bandits scored a mild 4-2 upset over the #8 seeded Clash of the Titans. Apparently, fans were not that enamored with the special effects work of Ray Harryhausen in the last of his films. However, there was plenty of love for Ray and old school fantasy when #13 7th Voyage of Sinbad, considered by many to be Ray's best film, upset the recently dominant Best Picture nominee, Pan's Labyrinth by a final vote of 4-1. 7th Voyage is the lowest seed to advance so far this tournament.

In other tourney news, #5 Wizard of Oz easily destroyed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 6-0 to advance to a round two match up against #13 7th Voyage.

A new category begins this week - Current Sci Fi - which covers all sci-fi movies that have come out post Computer Graphics.

Good luck and good voting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minority Report was a much better book. I'm glad Phillip Dick is finally getting his due.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

You will never, ever see me vote for any film that stars Tom Cruise.

Will Robison said...

I love Phillip Dick's writing, but I tend to find all his stories to be the same paranoid fantasy, told from different angles. Dude definitely had his problems.

Andy - I will never say never. If Top Gun were on the list vs. Stealth, I'd take Top Gun. If Risky Business were on the list vs. The Cat in The Hat, I'd take Risky Business. But I think it's safe to say that I'd never vote for Minority Report for anything.

However, my source for most of the films on my list was a TOP 100 SCI FI Movies listing where others had voted and Minority Report scored high on the list. Go figure.