Monday, October 01, 2007

Periodic Recurring Online Dating Amnesia...

Occassionally I forget why it is that I hate online dating websites and I try one again. Perhaps, the addict in me says, things will have changed from the last time I tried the online dating scene and I might actually find happiness. I'm the kind of guy who gives eharmony nightmares. If I were to waste my money on such a site, I would quickly be asked to leave as I am probably crushing their harmonious statistics that make their website look successful.

The fact of the matter is, if you weren't likely to get a date before you go online, you're not likely to get one after you go online either. The factors that make you undatable in the real world will soon become evident in the online world as well.

But, I get amnesia and I go to a site like geek2geek and I post a pretty cool profile of myself (the best one I've ever written) and occassionally I get some interest. But then, something happens. I think its the lack of the millionaire, 90210 hunk, drives expensive car, vibe. Whatever it is, after about one message, if I'm lucky and they respond at all, I never hear from anyone again.

This is incredibly frustrating. I don't go to singles clubs or bars precisely because I can live my life much saner and much happier without all those "looks" one gets from prospective conversationalists. You know the look that says, "Please God, don't come over here and talk to me or I might have to chew off a limb to escape." I really don't need to pay for a site that gives me the exact same level of frustration from my home.

But, again, I forget. And I hope. And I get stonewalled. And even the women who show potential interest quickly ignore me. And I'm only left with two possibilities - either I'm a completely unlovable jerk (not my first choice) or women are extremely shallow.

My revirginated status tells me that either way, I'm not likely to ever find true love again.

See what I mean, this online dating stuff really messes with a person's confidence. I am better than anything I could ever write in an online profile. I am better in person than I could ever be online. But I still have yet to meet anyone worthy of me, either online or the real world.

My lack of feminine companionship tells me that there aren't very many gems out there to be found.

There. Now that's much better. I've just put myself above market price. Let's see if anyone can afford to date me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll go with "shallow." I must confess, though, we out here in the hinterland have certain opinions about the west coast to girls which may not be accurate.

Cheers.

Andy said...

There is a certain truth to what you're saying, dude - even more so with the tech boom and bust of the past decade.

I know your female companion is out there, but God just hasn't delivered her to you yet.

He's probably also told you to knock it off regarding online dating, too.

Then again, perhaps you should meet my pastor. He was a widower for a number of years and then met his new wife via online dating...

Unknown said...

Hey, I am a woman and I am NOT shallow.

I fell in love with my husband because I had to. Besides the fact that my brothers drove me nuts trying to get us to date - it was just so obvious I would never find anyone better suited to me.

First, you have to love yourself. People can't love someone who doesn't love themselves. Its depressing and hard to be around someone who doesn't think themselves worthy of your, or anyone's, companionship.

Think of it this way - - have you ever had a boss you thought was cool and then someone started bad mouthing them, and then someone else joined in, and after awhile, it all started sounding really true to you? then you start noticing the same things, and slowly it bugs you?

Same thing with being around someone who does not think they are the cat's meow. Someone can't give that to you - you have to give it to yourself.

Trust in God. Have faith and don't let it waiver. Know that God wants you to feel love and experience love and be loved. If he didn't, he wouldn't have made so many people who love you - your friends and family, for one.

Love is a mysterious gift. Trust that God will give it to you when you are ready to receive it.