Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Grey skies are gonna clear up!

I aced my midterm test on editing. Not that this was a major accomplishment. I've already passed this class once with a very solid A. But since its a prerequisite for nearly every film class I want to take, and because the last time I passed the class was 20 years ago, I decided that perhaps I needed a refresher.

I wasn't worried. And, in fact, I guessed on a few answers. But there's no pressure. I don't need the course. I already know it. And ultimately, I already have a perfectly good BofA degree sitting on my wall collecting dust. No pressure means no mistakes. I laugh at their feeble attempts to grade my superior intellect.

Sorry, I watched The Wrath of Khan over the weekend and I'm still relishing in one of the better villains to ever grace the big screen - even if over half his dialogue was borrowed from Moby Dick.

Anyway, more importantly than some stupid film midterm, I achieved a HUGE milestone in the work on my Novel. This time, roughly a year ago, I was at about the exact same point in the Novel when I realized that there were some serious flaws in the narrative. I slugged on for a few more months and a few more chapters, but I could not undo the problems by wishing them away. I decided to go back and rewrite the entire first part of the Novel as a single book (thus breaking the Novel into three Novels). As of last night, I had finally gotten back to this same point in the first Novel and I'm happy to say that almost all of the problems from the last draft have been solved - and the one problem that remains I already know about and have a solution.

But most importantly, I have reached that point in the new Novel where almost the entire rest of the story is already written. I will need to tweak and fine tune what I have already written, but almost all of the new material has already been written. From here on out, the writing should pick up steam and I might even be done before the end of the year. So for me, this draft is nearly finished and I can already tell that it is vastly improved. And the next draft will be the final version - I PROMISE!

So put on a happy face! The Novel is almost done!

Again!

No comments: