Thursday, May 10, 2007

On A More Serious Note:

Parents with Daughters, pay attention.

I have something to recommend which can be a very hard read.

My sister has graciously and bravely come forward to explain her incidents of molestation when she was younger. As her brother and protector, I can't help but read these blogs and wish I could go back in time, Terminator style, and undo these terrible things. But as a youth leader, I want so much to take these blogs and share them with young ladies everywhere. The thing that strikes me the most about them is how they really bust open the myth of the creepy older man who turns out to be a molester. We'd like to think our daughters are safe because they know enough to stay away from the creepy old man and therefore it will never happen to them. My sister is living proof that this is not the case - molested as she was by a grandfatherly neighbor, a friend of my brother, and a complete stranger. I want people to read this and be warned, chilled, disgusted, whatever... so long as they take the lesson to heart.

Don't let my sister's brave writing float in the electronic dark without doing some good in this world. So I urge you, go now and visit Crime Survivor. Read the horrendous story and take it to heart. Your daughter might thank you someday.

And if any of you knows where I can get a gun and a time machine, let me know.

No comments: