Wednesday, May 09, 2007

But, of course...

It isn't that simple. It never was and it never has been and it never will be. If it were, there'd be no reason for Jesus in the first place. We'd never have had any need for redemption because we'd all be living in peace and harmony with one another. This is not to put rose colored glasses on our choices in life, this is merely a way to point out that the process of redemption is as simple as a choice.

The practical side of me says that for me to make this choice, I would have to give up my life. I'd have to leave my job, my family, my clothes, my car, my money, my security, my health (although it could certainly be argued that my health might actually improve as a result of giving up all this stuff), my hobbies, and my preoccupations. I'd have to throw it all out and say to Jesus, "Okay, Lord, here I am - use me as you would. I have nothing but the clothes on my back and a willingness to be led." I would literally be throwing everything away to become a slave to Christ.

That's all I have to do.

Presumably, Jesus would then guide me to homeless people or some such that were in need and I would somehow help them out.

But, of course, this is almost as much of a fantasy as the belief that all you have to do is go to Church on Sunday and you will be saved. In reality, my being homeless and jobless and lifeless would not really help Jesus. How could I really help people if I needed help myself? What sort of work could I really do?

The point is that I should be willing to make that sacrifice, at a moment's notice, if called upon to do so. If I heard the call to leave my job and enter the seminary, I should be willing to do so. I should drop everything and submit to God's call.

God has a plan for us. It is a simple plan. It is different for each of us but each task boils down to one thing - loving one another. It will be shown in different ways and by different means, but the end result will be the same.

To love or not to love, that is the simple choice. Everything else is in the details.

No comments: