Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Help With New Novel Needed...

Okay, I started serious work on my new novel last week by accident - which is how these things usually happen. I have no illusion that this new bout of work will carry on from inception to completion without some breakdowns along the way. After all, I'm still working on Novel #1 and have been for five years. But, I am coming to the conclusion that I may have finally hit upon the combination of ideas that works to make this story work.

The short things you need to know before you can help me...

1) Its a religious sci-fi novel. It involves time travel and religion. And its supposed to be an action story - complete in one novel (no sequels, three parters, etc...)

2) Did I mention the time travel part of it? Those of you who know me well, know I like the challenges of time travel stories. Well, some of this (at least the first chapter) might seem almost familiar to you.

Okay, without giving anything more away, I'd like to populate my story with interesting historical figures, locations, and events. What I'd like from you all is some suggestions of people, places, or events you'd like to see recreated in a story. I'm especially looking for odd ideas - not cliche. Although, cliche ideas would be welcome as well (the painting of Mona Lisa's smile, the nailing of the 95 Theses, etc...) There are only a few restrictions on time (must be less than 6000 years ago) and on place (must have taken place on Earth in a known location - no Sinking of Atlantis). Other than that, I'm game for any suggestion.

Thanks.

5 comments:

Andy said...

1) Fans waiting in line for the original Star Wars premiere in 1977 at Mann's Chinese Theater.

2) The impeachment proceedings of Andrew Johnson.

3) Nehemiah and the rebuilding of the wall in Jerusalem.

4) Opening Day, 1958, Seals Stadium, San Francisco, Giants vs. Dodgers.

5) 1982 - NFC title game, "The Catch" - Montana to Clark

OR

1982 - Cal vs. Stanford "The Play".

6) The day of the trade of Babe Ruth to the NY Yankees - the reaction in Boston.

7) The day that Jesus feeds the 5,000, from the perspective of one of the 5,000.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

AJ said...

Hmm.

Dr. James Naismith inventing the game of basketball with a peach basket.

The Jayhawks winning the NCAA tourney against all odds in 1988...

Oh wait, this wasn't a sports novel, was it?

The French Revolution is always good for a gory scene or two.

Likewise, the Salem Witch Trials.

Of course, they've been done before.

Anonymous said...

Time-travel? The protagonist should be a geeky, Japanese guy with a high, squeaky voice.

Peter Burch said...

first of all, i exercise my veto on andy's babe ruth trade moment

here are few i would like to see:

1) someone author named will standing in front of a urinal and ... uh ... well ... you know the rest.

2) woodward in the parking garage with deep throat

3) the burr-hamilton duel

4) gen. washington rides into valley forge

5) the 1906 san francisco earthquake

6) the building of the great pyramids

7) anything related to the birth, life, death, resurrection, or ascension of jesus.

Will Robison said...

I'm sensing a theme here... a sports related time travel story. Now that could be kind of fun... ;)

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will mull them over for a while and see where that gets me.