Monday, December 04, 2006

There's No Christians Like Bell Christians.

I have been playing handbells since Jr. High School. I honestly know of no bell choir that isn't affiliated with a Christian church. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I know of none. Bell music is the quintessential Christian music - not because of its sound, nor because of its text, but simply because of its existence.

When one plays in a bell choir you quickly learn that there is no real opportunity for individual achievement. Bell music is unique in that you tend to only play a few bells at a time. The music is achieved, then, by an entire choir working in concert together to create a wonderful sound. There might be stretches where you solo and shine, but ultimately, without the rest of your choir - there is no music.

As a result of this togetherness, bell choirs tend to be very interdependent. It is not unusual for a choir to stop a rehearsal and have one member turn to another and say, "I can't play that note in measure 46, can you get it?" These are trained and hardened musicians saying this. Can you imagine Pavorati turning to the back up tenor and saying, "Do you think you can sing that E sharp for me?" But in a bell choir, nobody shines alone. There is no individual achievement. Everyone works together and the final product is a result of everyone's efforts together.

If all Christiantity worked this way, imagine the results. Imagine if you could look your Christian brother in the eye and say, "I can't do this, can you do it for me?" and there was no judgement, only agreement. "Sure, Bob, anything - let me just write that down."

But here's the thing... Christianity does work this way. There is no individual achievement. Your glory is my glory and vice versa. Your failure is my failure. Only together, as brothers and sisters in Christ, can we make beatiful music. Without that togetherness, we'll continue to sound like individual instruments playing our own tunes in concert with no one.

5 comments:

Andy said...

"I can't play that note in measure 46, can you get it?"

Given that it's been almost 20 years since I touched a handbell, I don't know today's bell ringing etiquette - but I certainly don't EVER remember asking that question nor having anyone ask me that question.

Of course, we were all selfish teenagers, too, so therein lies the rub.

Great post. And so very true.

But did you ever march in the Rose Parade ringing bells? ;-)

Will Robison said...

Ah... you are getting old, my friend, and your memory begins to fade ;)

I can assure you that at some point in your long bell playing career, someone asked you, or you asked someone, if they could cover a bell in some measure or other. The instrument can not be played any other way.

Unless you're marching in the 100th Anniversary Rose Parade.

Andy said...

Actually, I was simply THAT good, so I NEVER had to ask for help. ;-)

And so were you!

Man, you should have seen us fling those bells back and forth down in Pasadena...

Sue said...

Andy,
Bell music in high school. You really were a nerd, weren't you. I thought you were just kidding. LOL

Will,
I am up to 32 push ups an sit-ups in your honor.

Interesting about bell music. I did not realize that you can have a bell orchestra. I would really like to hear that sometime.

Sue

Will Robison said...

Sue! Its so nice to see you back! How have you been? I missed you around here. Hope your computer problems have gone away.

And yes, Andy was a nerd. ;)