Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Filters

Once again, my inbox is filling up with spam messages as my filters are out of alignment with the latest attacks from unseen forces. Spam filters work by looking for particular patterns of popular spam subject lines and then, when finding those subjects listed, they target and eliminate the message so that it never actually reaches me. Every once in a while, however, a new paradigm is discovered and spammers find their way around the filters to send me new messages again and again and again. I get tired of it - ignoring their frequent calls for my attention - and I delete them the second I see them. But I have to give them grudging credit for being smarter than my filter, even if it is annoying dealing with them.

The latest spam messages I've been getting, especially as we get closer to December 25th, are all these messages someone keeps sending me with the subject line, "Behold, Unto You Is Born This Day In The City of David." I've been deleting that one as soon as I see it. Who has time to read things like that when there's Christmas shopping to be done? And another annoying message, "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you," is just a troll, I'm sure, for my money. I don't even let that one into my inbox. I try to destroy it before I even have to deal with it. Nasty business. But the worst of all is the one that says, "For God so loved the world." Have they no shame? Do they not realize its the holidays? Can't they see that this kind of spam will only have a negative impact on the GNP of the United States and might keep this great country from its several trillions of dollars in profit made during this season of the year!?

I can't believe that there is some great mysterious entity out there sending me all this spam and that we haven't found this person and dealt with him. He ought to be crucified I tell you! Or, at the very least, a better filter must be invented so that I don't have to listen to him any more. His spam messages can be most annoying during this season when I'm trying to enjoy the holidays.

That's all I've got time to say, because I need to rush out to the store and pick up some last minute sale items from the 70% off sale. I think there's a light up Santa that I can add to my Christmas light display next year. Then I ought to show my neighbors what for during the contest for best Christmas decorations. I'll show them what the Christmas spirit is all about!

See you later. Have a happy holiday.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Brilliant. Bravo.

How dare they corrupt the minds of the innocent with these silly notions of some deified infant? ;-)

Will Robison said...

My thoughts exactly. Clearly, your inbox is getting filled with these conflicting messages of this holiday as well. How can you possibly enjoy the hunt for a Wii if you're worried about some infant sleeping in a barn?

Andy said...

And who in their right mind would GO to a barn to have their baby? Haven't they ever heard of hospitals? Doctors? Even midwives?

Sheesh. The nerve of these people, knocking on doors at all hours of the night trying to find a place to stay.

They should've booked through Expedia before they left home. And used their American Express Card, too.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you too, big guy.

Cheers.