Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Priming The Pump

Word of my blogging demise was, apparently, greatly exaggerated.

It seems that while time away from ICON was good for getting my head back into the game, it didn't actually serve to help me write anything. Words of ICON written in the last week: 0. Words of Novel written since I stopped writing ICON: 0. So, as we move into the second inning, we wipe our hands of any foreign substances and begin again with the score tied.

It seems as if I need to prime the pump for writing. I know, approximately, what I want to say, but the words are just buried below under the gunk of other thoughts, feelings, and potential revelations. I need to clear the baffles. I need to put a scupper in my brain. I need to set sail and dog the hatches and... I've been reading too many nautical books lately.

The time off did give me a chance to clear the air within myself. I flung open the windows of my soul and let a cool breeze blow out all the staleness. I had a tremendous weekend almost entirely devoted to being a Christian. I spent all of Saturday morning helping build a local neighborhood park. It was hard, dirty, and extremely fulfilling work. After that, I took my youth group to a corn maze and got to listen to six teenage girls gab for the entire time. It was an education. On Sunday, after church, I participated in the 2006 Crop Walk to raise funds for the San Francisco Food Bank. Not only did I get to walk my faith, but it was a gorgeous day on the Marina in San Francisco and I got to talk with my church family as we walked to Fort Funston at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge. The entire weekend was a reminder of what ITS all about.

Community. Friendship. Family. Service. Love. Laughter. Happiness. Working Together.

These aren't just platitudes. They aren't words to be hung on church banners excoriating us to be model Christians. They are what we know to be good things. They are gifts from God, freely given if we but open ourselves to receive them.

So, I'm back. Blog 1, Novel 0. I hope to catch up soon.

9 comments:

Andy said...

Welcome back, bro. Glad to hear the weekend was excellent and that it was within the community of faith, doing things for the Kingdom!

AJ said...

This is good to hear. The blogosphere would have been a less humorous place without you. ;) Welcome back.

Dan said...

Welcome back mang.

Anonymous said...

Same as everyone else. Glad you're back.

Anonymous said...

You left???? Just kidding! I have been mourning your departure but understood your reasons why.

Welcome home to the Prodigal Icon!

MizB said...

Hey -- do you do NaNoWriMo? I signed up this year... I think I'm crazy. :-P

Will Robison said...

Mizbooks... I don't know whether to kiss you or have you boiled in oil! Here I am, trying to finish a novel, about to enter the holidays and the busiest time of the year for me, and you drop this deliciously wonderful writing "contest" in my lap. I don't have time for this... and yet, I can't get the idea out of my head.

Eventually, of course, prudence will probably rear its ugly head which is good for both of us as the cost of oil, boiled or not, is rather high right now. ;)

Either way, good luck to your endeavor. I wrote the last three hundred pages of my novel in 30 days and still have the mental scars to prove it. Even 175 (over 5 pages a night! Yikes!) will be extremely taxing. If I didn't make up for the schedule on weekends, sometimes writing over 80 pages in one weekend, I never would have made my deadline.

MizB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MizB said...

Thank you for the good luck wishes... I'm certainly gonna need 'em!

And, I'm happy to be an enabler in this... If I have to be "tortured" for the next 30 days, I'm happy to drag others along with me! (I hear Donny is a willing participant... Bwah ha ha ha ha... -evil laugh)
;-P

<>< Miz