Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Your help required...

I am prepping one of several new stories now that the end is in sight for my novel. This one particular story that I'm preparing is so delicious to me (i.e. the story may not be any good, but the preparation is a lot of fun!) that I can't wait to share it with you all. I'll probably serialize it on my website come September. However, in the meantime, I need your help.

Without going into a lot of detail, the basic premise of the story is that its about a paradise lost - a human created community that is as near to perfect as possible. What I'd like from each of you are some ideas about what you think would be a characteristic of a perfect community.

Clearly, I think a perfect community would be a city wherein everyone had a place and a purpose and that everyone was happy in that place and in that purpose. We idolize simple existences like Mayberry precisely because of this point. Not everyone there was a perfect person. Otis was often in the drunk tank. But everyone had their place and was not penalized for that place. There were no haves and havenots. Everyone was a have. Everyone looked after everyone else. Such a community would by necessity be equal.

So, help me out. Let me know what you think and what you'd add to our list of perfect community requirements. Don't be afraid to be silly... as this is one of those types of stories. And no San Dimas quotes from Bill and Ted either. We already know that the bowling scores would be up and the miniature golf scores would be down ;)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

3 comments:

Will Robison said...

Thanks Elisa... that gave me some ideas.

Andy said...

Will, save yourself the trouble and see Pleasantville again. In black and white, it was a perfect society. When color hit, life became complicated - sin, if you will, permeated the perfect world.

Sue said...

Hi Will,

I often thought about this perfect society. I read all classics on the subject when I was young: 1984, Brave New World, The Time Machine, Farenheit..whatever.
I realized that even if it were possible, it would probably kill us. Human beings need stress.

Therefore, I assume this story will be funny or tragic in which case I have the following suggestion: There needs to be a character that is seriously neurotic. Maybe like my mother. Not so crazy to be a threat to herself or others, but crazy enough that the things she says can be extremely bizarre but somehow very wise.

I remember once my Mom encountered a very grumpy person on the bus who proceeded to berate her for no apparent reason. I was young and got quite uncomfortable about the whole thing. She turned to me and said,

"Don't worry about it, Honey. She probably didn't go pooh pooh this morning".

I will never forget that. So wierd but yet so wise...