Monday, March 27, 2006

My Pinto

We all know a Pinto. Someone who has taken forever to get their driver's license. My sister is my Pinto. But that has changed now and I shall have to pick on someone else.

Not only did my sister finally pass the driving test today and qualify to legally run people onto the sidewalk, but she did so with a perfect 100% score. I know of no one who passed the driving test with a 100%. Hell, I passed with a 71%... and I had to apologize to those nuns for years afterwards. So my sister is perfect.

When she first took the test, way back when, she promptly pulled out of the DMV driveway into ongoing traffic the wrong way. Instant failure. Once, when I was giving her a driving lesson, she zipped through an intersection without looking and nearly hit a car. And when I tried to explain to her what happened, she was so intent on telling me that I was wrong that she nearly hit someone at the next intersection as well.

For my sister it has been a long struggle. Though I know she has not really needed to have a driver's license before, I think with two kids she was finally starting to see the need for one. Constant nagging from her family didn't do anything for her... it was the younger set that drove her to the DMV. If her son could learn to swim, she could learn to drive. So, once more into the breach...

I knew she was ready to pass the last time I went someplace with her. She was driving her car (with my Mom) and I was driving my car. She followed me to the Costco and I didn't bat an eye once at her driving ability. I knew then that she had finally overcome her confidence problems and her inability to see cars in intersections and that she was ready to take the test.

So, to my Sister, a hearty congratulations. And to the rest of you a warning... if you don't like the way she drives, stay off the sidewalk! ;)

2 comments:

Andy said...

The Pinto's a bad analogy. Crash into the back of a Pinto and it blows up.

Oh wait.

Maybe it was appropo after all...

Unknown said...

Hey, now, I resemble those remarks.

And, Will, you were wrong.