Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Preparing For The Journey - Pt.3 - Packing

My sister and I still play a game called, "I'm Packing My Suitcase." This was a favorite childhood memory game where someone would start off by saying, I'm Packing My Suitcase and I'm bringing along... and the first item would be something that started with the letter A - Applie, Aardvark, Atom Bomb, whatever. Then the next person would say, I'm Packing My Suitcase and I'm bringing along an Apple and a... and the second item would be something that started with the letter B. Going back and forth like this until you reached Z, you had to be able to remember all 26 items all the time. As we got older, we'd play variations of this game - dropping the memorization part, or going past Z and starting the next 26 with AA, and then BB, etc... It is a diverting way to pass the time when there's nothing else to do.

Of course, on any journey, packing is an integral part of our preparations. What you bring with you on any journey is an important decision because often its what you leave behind that you need the most. There are all sorts of things that you require for your physical comfort - everything from clothes to sunglasses and sunscreen. There are things you need for your intellectual comfort - a good book to read, maps, etc... And there are things you need for your emotional comfort - a favorite piece of home (photos, or a journal, or a stuffed animal). Everything else we can leave behind. We don't need shelter, because it will be provided for us. We rarely need food, because it will be there for us. We don't need entertainment, because we will make our own. Most of our needs will be met for us on our journey.

When we set off on a spiritual journey, packing is just as important. We need to be sure that all of our needs are met - physically, intellectually, and emotionally. But the difference is that all of our needs will be made for us by God, if we only trust Him.

So, to get ready for the journey, I thought I'd start packing my suitcase filled with things I'll need for my spiritual journey. I'll get the list started, and then I'll hope that you'll join in with the next item on the list. Thanks for helping out...

I'm packing my suitcase, and I'm bringing along...

An Acceptance of Things Out of My Control and
my Bible and
Christ, and...

Please help me fill the list, starting with the letter D.

Thanks.

5 comments:

Andy said...

Desire to know God better,
Eagerness for learning,
Fellowship with others...

Sue said...

G-Godliness in spirit
H-Humility of self
I-Ingenuity (Knowledge and Wisdom)

Andy said...

J - Jesus

Unknown said...

No evil
Open heart
Personality, to boot.

Andy said...

T - Trinity
U - Universal joy
V - Victory over death